Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CAT5 or COAX? (FiOS)

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I have cable right now and I am moving to a new neighborhood where FiOS is available. I am getting the FiOS at 15/2MBs and on the website they say that they will wire up your house with COAX or CAT5, depending on the quality of the wiring of your house. COAX is wired up all through the house and I am guessing they are not going to give me the better quality, CAT5, and just use the existing COAX for the internet. I was just wondering if they were to give me the CAT5 wiring instead of COAX, would the connection be better with the better quality wire? Does it matter that much or am I just not getting something and I am just confused?

This is how it is set up right?:
fiber=>box outside=>(COAX/CAT5)=>modem=>CAT5=>router=>CAT5=>computer

Edited by jackflash1991, 11 June 2007 - 07:02 PM.