Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hal.dll is Missing or Corrupt Error

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Hal.dll is Missing or Corrupt Error
What is hal.dll?
Hal.dll is a hardware abstraction layer that links the physical (hardware) and software components of a computer.

How can I fix an error message saying that hal.dll is missing or corrupt?
The first method rebuilds the boot configuration on your hard drive. If this doesn’t work, the second method replaces the hal.dll file on your computer with the one that comes on the XP CD. Please note that this may be one symptom of a larger, more serious problem. If you have this error multiple times, or this and other errors, you may want to seek help.

It may help to print these instructions.

1. Enter the Recovery Console (instructions here).

2. Then, type the following (in bold), in order:
• bootcfg /rebuild
• You will probably see something like the following:
"Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)"
• Type Yes (or all) and press Enter
• When asked to " Enter Load Identifier," type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Microsoft
Windows XP Professional Edition depending on which edition you have and press Enter
• When asked "Enter OS Load options," type /fastdetect and press Enter
• When it is done, type exit
• Your computer will restart, so see if it worked.

If it does not work, enter the Recovery Console again, choose the installation, and type the password
1. This time, type:
expand D:\i386\hal.dl_ %systemroot%\System32\hal.dll and press Enter
*make sure to replace “D” with your CD and/or DVD drive’s letter that contains the XP CD

2. Again, type exit and see if it worked.

If neither method works, please ask for additional help in the XP support forum. Do not post your question here.
From my site here.

Advertisements

rich06

rich06

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
i am having problems even entering the recovery console. the only thing i can get into is if i hit f10 right as it boots which takes me to the system restore... once its past that though is when i get the error message

19starz2009

19starz2009

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have some what of a problem like that on my laptop I start My Laptop up and it pops up This application has failed because SHDOCVW.dll Was not found Re-installing the application may fix this.

But how??? Can I Reinstall it when My screen just shows the icon and it shows Explorer. EXE Unable to locate at the top of the icon pop up when I Restart My Laptop.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This topic is here as a guide to correcting this issue. As stated in the guide, if this does not work for you, please start a new topic in the XP Support Forum. Questions in this thread will not be replied to.