Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please tell me if these parts go together

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi, I'm trying to build a gaming computer for myself

I am interested in building a SLi-capable PC, and the PC will be mainly used for gaming.
Cam someone also tell me how much power I need for a SLi PC?

So here are the parts that I picked out, and let me know what you think of them. If you have an alternate option (better, cheaper etc) please tell me.

Motherboard: 122-CK-NF68-T1 nForce 680i SLI 775 ATX Motherboard
motherboard link

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Processor link

PC Case: Antec 900 Gaming ATX Case
case link

Monitor: Sceptre 20" monitor
monitor link

Hard Drive: 500GB SATA WD HardDrive
hard drive link

CD/DVD Drive: 20X Optical DVD Drive
optical drive link

Memory: 4GB of Buffalo memory
memory link

Power Supply: I'm going to leave this one blank because I'm not sure what to get. Please help.

Video Card(s): X2 of 512 Mb nVidia Video Card (e-GeForce 7950GT KO 512MB PCI-E x16 Video Card)
video card link

Well, that's about it. If there is anything I missed, please tell me, and give me some advice....
Thx in advance to anyone who helps. Please reply!!!

Edited by phatjo911, 12 June 2007 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
We don't recommed posting your e-mail in a thread. We will be able to answer all your questions here. As far as SLI goes I'm not sure how much power you would need for two 7950 GTs. You will actually probably be better off with one 8800 GTX. With SLI you pay more than 100% of the cost (extra card plus SLI compatable equipment) for probably 30-50% performance increase. SLI is almost more of a marketing gimic than anything else. Also with your set up you will not be able to support Directx10 and the games that will run on it. If you decide to go with the single 8800 GTX then I would recommend a 550-650 watt PSU from a good company such as Antec, Coolermaster, or Sapphire.

The prices on the website that you picked your equipment on are a bit high. You should check out Newegg or Tiger Direct. The parts that I don't like that you have picked out is the RAM and the Monitor. I recommend high quality RAM from a known company such as Corsair, Crucial, or OCZ. Also 4GB is a little excessive. Sceptre monitors sound very nice for their price and they are except for a humming noise that they tend to make. I recently built a computer for a friend who got a Sceptre with his and his monitor ended up being louder than the computer! I would look into Acer. They aern't much more money and to me it would be worth the extra $20.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Then is vista required to run directx10??
Should I go with Vista or XP PRO?
Also, thanks about the info
How long do you think it will be until games designed for direct 10x will come out?
Also, I don't think I can afford the 8800 gtx :whistling:
Do you have any other suggestions?

Edited by phatjo911, 12 June 2007 - 03:07 PM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I am looking into the 8800 GTS Superclocked video card. Please tell me what you think

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I am looking into the 8800 GTS Superclocked video card. Please tell me what you think

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes vista is required to run DX10
If you know how to overclock its not worth the extra $$$
Company of heros got a DX10 facelift May 29, expect more to come soon, flight simulator X should be DX10 soon as well.
the 320MB version will be enough power for you as well.
2GB of ram will be enough for you, 32bit OS only use something around 3.5GB of ram no more due to limitations.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 June 2007 - 03:27 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, Vista is required for DX10. With that said I would recommend Vista. The drivers are not as good as the XP drivers but they will get there soon. If you can't afford the the gtx the gts is also a very nice card. I wouldn't go lower than than the 8800 series though because they say that even though they support DX10 they will not be able to handle DX10 games that will be released.

I would advise against any factory overclocked card. Overclocking is something you can do for free so why pay evga an extra $100 to do it for you?

Edit: Uggg... James beat me to it again... :whistling:.

Edited by Titan8990, 12 June 2007 - 03:34 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I wouldn't go lower than than the 8800 series though because they say that even though they support DX10 they will not be able to handle DX10 games that will be released.

O they can......at 5FPS :whistling:
Major sideshow thats all I have to say! Don't buy them for gaming, though they are better for HD decoding then the GTX, since they take more of the load off the CPU and do it more efficiently and slightly better quality. That is thier only advantage over the GTX, guess they should have something on it considering it was launch 6 months later :blink:
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 June 2007 - 03:38 PM.

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
So, since I decided not to go with a SLi, is it good or bad to go with the mobo i chose??
.... So, you guys are saying that i should go with the 8800 gtx? Is it that much better than the gts?

Also, what do you guys think of this? http://www.microcent...duct_id=0249680

I have heard some people say that the 8800 gtx is about 12" long and it won't fit in the antec 900. Is that true?

Edited by phatjo911, 12 June 2007 - 04:42 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No go with the GTS, best for the money. I was refuring to the cards under the 8800GTS which are pointless for gaming, it's pretty bad from what I have seen. But I think the benchmarks run it on high not low, but I could be wrong.
It's 9.5" long, the OEM HD 2900XTX was said to be 12" long, but it was never released. If something won't fit in the antec 900, then it won't fit in any mid size case. So no it's not true, I got the case and have HD2900XT running in it right now loading vista, this card is larger then the GTS by .5" i believe. Let me say, there is plenty of room to spare.
Your call on the GTX but the GTS has better performance for your dollar. As long as you don't have a resolution higher then 1680x1050, then you'll be fine with the 320MB version of the GTS which is 200$ cheaper if I remember correctly.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 June 2007 - 07:58 PM.

Advertisements

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hey guys,
I'm leaning close to this video card--- let me know what you think
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130071

Edited by phatjo911, 13 June 2007 - 02:18 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
As of right now that card has the best performance/value ratio. EVGA is one of the best brands to get.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
With a resolution of 1650x1050, you will not see much if any performance difference to suggest the difference in cost between the 640mb version and the 320mb version.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I see that the benchmarks show that but it just seems to me if you take the same card and double the RAM it would justify $70. I think that there will be a bigger difference in benchmarks once stressfull DX10 games are released.

Edit: Just noticed it's only a $50 difference with the mail-in rebate.

Edited by Titan8990, 13 June 2007 - 02:47 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I think that's the big question that everybody is wondering about. How much will the additional memory impact games designed specifically for DX10? Here is an excerpt from a review by HardOCP:

320 MB vs. 640 MB vs. 8600 GTS

Our tests have shown that, with the exception of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., there is little difference in performance between the 640 MB GeForce 8800 GTS and the 320 MB version at 1600x1200 or under. In a couple of games, we were able to increase the detail level, but it did not result in a dramatically better gaming experience, except for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

In S.T.A.L.K.E.R., the 640 MB GeForce 8800 GTS allowed us to use higher image quality settings which actually made a palpable difference in gameplay. Only time will tell if the performance profile of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a sample of things to come, or if it is unique challenge to video cards. At 1920x1200 and upwards the memory capacity makes more of a difference, but even so the 320 MB 8800 GTS performed great at 1920x1200 in all games.

We also threw in the 8600 GTS to see what the real-world difference is between it and the now very cheap 320 MB 8800 GTS. What we found was that in older games such as World of Warcraft, there isn’t really a need for the 8800 GTS, the 8600 will do you fine. However in newer games such as Oblivion and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. there is a very large gameplay experience between them. If you can muster up the cash for the 320 MB 8800 GTS it would be a wise value over the 8600 GT for gaming.

So, it looks like the additional memory did help in Stalker which is one of the few games designed specifically with DX10 in mind. Unfortunately we won't really know the answer until more games are released.