Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP address changed Automaticly

• Please log in to reply

patdied

patdied

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

My IP addres changed all of a sudden without knowtest. No one in my family changed it. My router has a password protecting it from people that steal signals and also a username and password for people who enter the router manager. I checked the ip address and it said I lived in the U.S. and it used to say I live in Canada (This is where I live), I never moved or anything, it used to say where I lived properly. My ip never changed before, it was always the same ip address( I had it a fewyears ago ). both internal and external IP addresses were changed.

When I went to the router manager before this problem it said only two host names in the "Dynamic DHCP Client List", now it has three, the other one says "unknown". I use D-link model "DI-624".

It says my IP address is "IP Address 74.123.245.145" it should be "74.120.184.237".

My other IP says "192.168.0.102" but it should be "192.168.0.100". These were given by the router.

I'm very worried about this problem.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I doubt you need to really worry about the IP (WAN IP or private IP) addresses changing. It's not uncommon for ISPs to assign you a different IP address now and again.
That said, if you want to make absolutely sure that no one else has access to your router, then I suggest you enable MAC filtering on the router. If you don't already know how to do this, let me know.

Also, you didn't say whether you connect to the router wirelessly or not. If none of the computers in the house are wireless, then I suggest you disable the wireless function on the router. If you do use wireless, then make sure you have SSID broadcast mode disabled & that you use WPA encryption.

patdied

patdied

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

Yes, I'm on a laptop, I connect wirelessly.

I just figured how to enable MAC filtering.

Just seconds ago another hostname appeared, it says "laptop". Is this suppost to happen?

I have a D-link router, if I change a setting on my laptop at the router manager, would it effect the all computers that are using this router?

Thanks Samm

Edited by patdied, 12 June 2007 - 07:16 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Just seconds ago another hostname appeared, it says "laptop". Is this suppost to happen?

Maybe... No idea to be honest but if your laptop's Computer Name or your username is 'laptop' then it's probably fine.

Mac filtering....
You need to perform these steps for every computer/laptop that connects to your router.
1) Go to the Start menu in Windows & click on Run..
2) Type CMD in to the run box & click ok.
3) In the DOS comand window that opens, type ipconfig /all then press Enter
4) Scroll through the list of network adapters that are listed & locate the one for your wireless adapter. Write down the wireless adapters PHYSICAL ADDRESS. This be in the form of six pairs of hexadecimal characters (eg A0-FF-0A-9F-30-B1)
5) I strongly recommend that you also write down the physical address for your ethernet card (assuming the laptop has one).

Repeat this process for all other machines on the network. When you have the complete list, go back to the laptop & open your usual web browser & access the routers configuration. (Normally this by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar)

Locate the MAC filtering option (In Advanced - Filters menu, I believe)
Select MAC filters option, then select the 'Only allow computers with MAC address listed to access network' option.
Type a name in to the Name box (eg laptop wireless), then enter the MAC address (physical address) for your laptops wireless card. Make sure you do not get this wrong!!
In the DHCP Client box, select the relevant client (eg laptop) & click on Clone. (You may not need to click clone as you have already entered the MAC address into the box, but try it anyway & make sure it places the same address as the one you just entered).
Click on Apply.

Repeat this process for the ethernet cards MAC address but don't click on the Clone button.
Repeat again for all other computers on the network but make sure you select the relevant DHCP Client before clicking clone.

Be aware that if you miss a MAC address out (or get it wrong) for any of the computers on your network, that computer will not be able to access the Internet afterwards.
Remember to save the changes before exiting the routers configuration page.