Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updated Java to SE6 & have problem

• Please log in to reply

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have updated my Java runtime to SE6. I removed 1.4.2 at that time, but then later I found on Sun Java's website that they do not recommend doing this. The site stated that the previous Java should be left in place because removing it might cause some problems. What kind of problems? This is something I know nothing about, and after reading this I got so paranoid that I did a system restore back to the point right before I had removed the previous version. It now appears in the program list again, so I assume it's in working order, but I'm not sure. Does restore always put everything back as it was?

If I don't need this older version, then I don't want to keep it for no reason. I'm trying to clean up my system and dump things that aren't necessary. I had also done several updates to other programs (took a long time on dialup) that I lost in the restore and would like to reverse it if I don't need the old Java. Would that successfully give me back the updates? Sorry for the dumb questions, but both restores and java are things I know little about. Any information would be really helpful.

Edited by mintchip, 12 June 2007 - 08:45 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I have updated my Java runtime to SE6. I removed 1.4.2 at that time

If after removing the old one, your java worked fine, then there was/is no need to do anything else. I have always updated to the latest when possible and removed all the old ones, never had any problems.

I found on Sun Java's website that they do not recommend doing this

Can you provide the link for this?

Cheers. :whistling:

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi ruthandtroy,

Thank you for responding. Java's site does not say that you cannot remove previous versions, only that it is not recommended unless the space is needed. Maybe you can interpret this better than me, but I think I'm understanding it to say that some applications will only work with certain versions, and may not apply to the latest. I'm not sure. Here is the link:
http://java.com/en/d.../5000070400.xml

If I do not need the previous version, then if I reverse the restore I did, will I get back all of my updates? Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It seems to say if you keep updating the program, then each update adds more functionality (i.e. builds upon the last version). It would seem best to delete everything and download the latest version, which I'm guessing would contain the lot in one build, not many...

However, may I just suggest that you visit sites with java that you frequent. If everything works fine, then I don't suspect you'd need to do anything. I'm sure you could reverse the restore and have a look-see, it might be worth a try if you're only using dial-up and don't want to bore yourself re-downloading the updates. It is always best, mind you, to have the latest updates for these sorts of programs as they provide maximum security and functionality.

Cheers.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

It seems to say if you keep updating the program, then each update adds more functionality (i.e. builds upon the last version). It would seem best to delete everything and download the latest version, which I'm guessing would contain the lot in one build, not many...

I hope that's what it's saying, and not that certain versions are required by certain applications, regardless of updates.

However, may I just suggest that you visit sites with java that you frequent. If everything works fine, then I don't suspect you'd need to do anything. I'm sure you could reverse the restore and have a look-see, it might be worth a try if you're only using dial-up and don't want to bore yourself re-downloading the updates. It is always best, mind you, to have the latest updates for these sorts of programs as they provide maximum security and functionality.

Cheers.

I think the sites with Java worked fine as far as I could tell, since I did a fair amount of browsing before I did the restore. But I keep thinking that there will be something somewhere that I will stumble across at some point that will not work properly without the previous version. Who knows? Probably just paranoia on my part. I noticed that my Photoshop Help manual even uses script. Many thanks for your help and suggestions. I will probably do the reversal.

Edited by mintchip, 13 June 2007 - 06:24 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I might suggest to go ahead and do as you say. Even if it doesn't work out in the long run, it's good to experiment with these things sometimes...

If everything decides to 'blow up', then just uninstall everything and start again.

Cheers.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've done the reversal. Things were just not running smoothly since I'd gone back, and even though the reversal was not problem free, I think I've sorted it out. When I originally downloaded and installed the new version, I did not do an offline install, and I deleted the old version "after" the new one was installed. Could this be a problem? Everything I read now says that you should have everything closed when you install (browsers, etc) and you should delete the old version first, yet the Sun site I downloaded from said nothing about this. So, now I have this new version that, according to some, was not installed perfectly. I also see lots of missing Java files and buttons when I do a HIjackThis scan and that were not there before. Hmmm Probably no big deal, but I wonder. Thanks! :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I also see lots of missing Java files and buttons when I do a HIjackThis scan and that were not there before

May I suggest that you post a copy of your HJT log in the malware forum, giving them a link to this topic and asking them if they could help you clean up your computer? They don't just specifically deal with malware, I asked them to help me on my computer and now my computer runs a bit quicker with some simple changes.

Other than that, way to go! :whistling: Good to hear you've pretty much sorted it out.

mintchip

mintchip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I thought about that, but I also noticed how busy and overwhelmed that HijackThis board is. Most of those members have serious problems, so I don't want to take up time with something that is not critical. I think I will definitely post the log, but on a less busy site (although I prefer to stick to one place). I know of one that is much less busy and they are very trustworthy. I'll try that first.

I should not have let the maintenance on my computer go this long. I use to keep up with this stuff, but have just got behind. Now the more I get involved with it, the more I realize that other things need to be done. It's never ending. You clean one thing and find something else that needs to be done. Thanks again for all your help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You're welcome mintchip, if you have no luck in the other malware forum you are most welcome to return and post it in this one, they fight a good battle, even though it's never ending! :whistling: