Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

e mail won't stay on server

• Please log in to reply

Don_M

Don_M

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I use Outlook Express for e mail. The messages I get do not stay on the server provided by my ISP, even though I have checked the option to save :whistling: in setup. The messages, however do get downloaded to my desktop, but not all of them get downloaded to my laptop, even though Outlook Express is installed on both computers.
Any ideas on how I can solve thse two problems (I think they are inter-related)?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Assuming that you've set OE up to keep a copy of the messages on the server and not set the other option to remove them after so many days, then there's no reason why the other laptop can't get them. What happens if you get new messages first on the laptop?

It may well be that your email provider removes the emails as soon as they've been downloaded via Outlook Express. Check your T&Cs to see if this is the case.

Don_M

Don_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, Neil. But what are T&C's?
...Don

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Terms & Conditions which you agree to be bound by when you use an internet provider's services.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
If you want to get the same emails on your desktop and your laptop, your best bet would be to set up an email server on your desktop, configure it to download all your messages then configure Outlook Express on both your desktop and laptop to get messages from the server. One free one that I have set up for a few people is OfficeMail. It is very easy to setup, here is an Animated Tutorial that shows how easy it is to set up.

Don_M

Don_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for your input, cmw. I'll give it a try today and let you know hoe it works out, but it sound like the ideal solution!
...Don