Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP/IE6 problems galore

• Please log in to reply

lizgold

lizgold

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi--Thank you so much for your help!!

Here's my story...

Due to a family emergency last month, I was away from home for weeks. Out of desperation to get some work done for income, I purchased a used Dell laptop. It is loaded with XP Professional. It is a legal, verified copy, but I don't have the installation disks. I'm home now, and I do have disks for XP Home Edition, but I'm hoping I don't have to wipe the drive and start over with a new OS.

I'm running ZoneAlarm (free version) and Avast.

The first thing I noticed is that Windows Update would download files but was unable to install them.

Then I noticed that IE6 would not load--pages hang indefinitely. Anything in Windows that requires IE also crashes--such as Help. (I use Firefox, so didn't notice it at first.) When I looked at the log, it said there was a problem with mshtml.dll. I tried to download and install mshtml.dll. Didn't help.

I tried all sorts of fixes--stuff from Windows support pages. Every time I'd try something, it would crash or fail. I tried Dial-a-Fix, and it ran through everything fine (registering, resetting permissions) until it got to "registering mshtml.dll"--then it hung.

Tried to uninstall/reinstall IE6. Wouldn't install. Tried IE7. Wouldn't install, either.

Ran ckdsk. No hardware problems. 6+GB of space on C drive.

Tried to install a copy of Norton SystemWorks 2002. Wouldn't install.

Came here to you guys. Ran ATF Cleaner. Downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware. It wouldn't run in Safe Mode (couldn't start service), but I ran it in regular Windows mode--found a few tracking cookies, nothing else. Can't run Panda because it requires Internet Explorer. Tried to run SuperAntiSpyware, but it wouldn't run.

I am at your mercy!

Thank you thank you

goldcakes

I'm attaching the HijackThis, Uninstall, and also the IE7 Install log.
-----------------------------------------
Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   10.44KB   117 downloads

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok liz copy these commands down lets see if does the trick. click start run an type regsvr32 urlmon.dll and click ok. the next message will be (i hope) is DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded . clear the box and type these commands pressing ok afterwards. regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll that should do it

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi--

Thanks! Everything succeeded except:

DllRegisterServer in mshtml.dll failed.
Return code was: 0xc0000006

(I recognize this code from one of the logs.)

Thanks,

Liz

P.S: love the Homer icon

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok liz... verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} if the issue still isnt resolved then reinstall internet explorer.if your using the version that is included with your operating system reinstall or repair :whistling:

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks...sorry not to respond sooner. I was gone overnight and just got back.

Darn...all the keys seem to be there and be correct.

The problem is that this computer is loaded with XP Professional, and I only have the disks for XP Home. Tried downloading and installing IE6 SP1, but that didn't work, and tried installing IE7 and no go. It goes through all the steps, installs updates, installs core components, etc., but finally just says it did not install and please restart. I already posted the log for the failed IE7 install earlier....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Liz

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OK, I tried reinstalling, and that didn't work, either. Tried stuff on a million different websites. Nothing worked. Went to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281679 and it says there's a hotfix, so I am emailing Microsoft.

lizgold

lizgold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OK, in case there is someone else out there with this problem: Microsoft was no help. (They emailed me a "hotfix" that contained nothing except a text file with a warranty disclaimer. Did it twice. Then said I'd have to contact Support--for a fee.)

I finally located a mshtml.dll file to download that matched my version of Internet Explorer (I found the version number in the registry: Start->Run->regedit, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer). The file I found was at http://www.dlldump.com/. I put it in the Windows/system 32 folder. Then went to Start->Run and typed "regsvr32 mshtml.dll".

It worked, and now Internet Explorer works like a charm.

Good luck to you...

Liz