Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats the best laptop for me?

• Please log in to reply

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Whats the best laptop money can buy?
I mostly just use the computer for typing, internet, and updating my iPod. I need at least 80g for music space. I would like to play WoW craft, but never have. Right now I think the only game I have installed is the sims2 and step mania. It has to be able to run quickly and smoothly with light gaming. I like to have a lot of tabs up at once. Right now just the internet browsing I am doing is taking up 143K if mem. I do like photo editing and movie editing. I don't edit movies that much though. I want it to run fast and have great graphics. I'm not sure If I want a mac. I never owned a mac before. Vista compatible. I think most come with Vista now anyway. I would also like to run both vista and Linux though.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Why do you need a laptop? For gaming and such, it's much better (and less expensive) to have a desktop. You can find a laptop like this, but if you go that way, don't have a set budget. You'll need a good card installed, plenty of RAM, especially for Vista, and it sounds like you need a decent hard disk. Easy, but now we have to talk about screen sizes, extra batteries, becuase that laptop won't hold very long on one battery while gaming, possible cooling issues, etc.

Let me know what you want to do, but I highly suggest a desktop for this.

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Its going to mostly be used for school work so it needs to be portable. But it is also going to be my personal computer. I think it would need at least 6 hours of battery life. If I was playing games on it, it will prob be at home where it can be plugged it. I do want a full size keyboard.

Edited by Vegan5589, 13 June 2007 - 08:12 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Any set budget?

Sony makes good products, however, they are expensive. It seems good for you though. If gaming wasn't involved, I'd suggest Lenovo (the home IBM). Otherwise, I suggest Compaq or Toshiba. Compaq will probably give you more laptop for the money, but I've always question the reliability of that brand. Customize a computer on these sites if you can, and see what looks best to you, and then let us know what you pick.

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
My budget is around 2,000 But I want the most for less. What specs should I look for? Could someone figure out the min specs I need, and list them for me?

Edited by Vegan5589, 14 June 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have been searching around and came across M-TECH Laptops. From what I have read they seem really good.
I'm looking at the MTECH M570U (click)

Heres the customizations I made.
Posted Image

It comes to $2227.00 just a little over. Will it meet my needs?

Edited by Vegan5589, 14 June 2007 - 03:29 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I haven't had much research on that brand, but that doesn't mean it's not excellent.

128 MB video is good for most games, but you might want more, especially if you will be playing newer games which have a higher demand for specifications. One gig of RAM is good, but once again, for newer games, you may like more, though your processor might compensate for some of that. Your hard disk is 80 GB, which is good. It's also good that you have a second, although I don't see why you need two hard disks on a laptop. Personal preference I suppose. Also, did you choose a floppy drive or no? If you did, you can take that off, you really don't need it today. A car adapter? For power? You also don't need Vista Ultimate. Home Premium will serve you well. You probably don't need Microsoft Office either... Depends what you're doing. Word is all that most people need.

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I haven't had much research on that brand, but that doesn't mean it's not excellent.

128 MB video is good for most games, but you might want more, especially if you will be playing newer games which have a higher demand for specifications. One gig of RAM is good, but once again, for newer games, you may like more, though your processor might compensate for some of that. Your hard disk is 80 GB, which is good. It's also good that you have a second, although I don't see why you need two hard disks on a laptop. Personal preference I suppose. Also, did you choose a floppy drive or no? If you did, you can take that off, you really don't need it today. A car adapter? For power? You also don't need Vista Ultimate. Home Premium will serve you well. You probably don't need Microsoft Office either... Depends what you're doing. Word is all that most people need.

What video and ram should I select then? The options are here click.A second disk is a must for me. I'm a music lover and drummer. So the second disk is just going to be used for my ipod. I didn't chose a floppy, don't use those anymore. The car adapter is for road trips. I'm thinking of starting my own businesses. I'm not happy with any of the aquariums stores around here. None of them know a thing about anything. It really pisses me off. They will sell a common goldfish with a 2g bowl. I want the Ultimate because it has both the bussniess and home stuff.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see. Well, as far as the card, all of those 256 MB and higher cards will work well. For games that will be coming out within the next year, 256 MB might become the standard (minimum). It sounds like the rest is desirable for you to have, so I'll leave those alone. I know you keep saying that you want a laptop, but before you purchase, I want to warn you about a few things...

(1) Buying a desktop will allow you to get more for your money
(2) Laptops historically don't last as long as desktops
(3) Laptops are not easily upgradeable

That's the last you'll hear from me on that, I just wanted to point that out before you make the purchase.

Hope it works out for you!

Enjoy! :whistling:

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for your help.

Edited by Vegan5589, 20 June 2007 - 10:09 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No problem, let me know how it works for you :whistling: