Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP keeps restarting! Please Help

• Please log in to reply

PC prob

PC prob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I have a problem and need some help please. My brother was surfing on the computer and got a Norton msg. of a virus he as found he clicked ok, the msg. repeated it self a couple of time and then pc restarded it self. When he did he keeps on doing that. I get a screen that sais that some problem has accured and windows had to shot him self down. Than I can choose from normal windows boot, safe mode safe mode prompt and safe mode network, last known config... I can also push the f8 button and get some more options I can choose but no metter what ik choose he keeps restarting. I tried to boot with my win XP pro cd the cd is bootable but for some reason I cant choose the recovery option the cd proceed imidiatly to the section where I have to choose what kind of partition I want to choose for installing win XP on and after that I have to format my PC quik or long NTFS format. But I can't make a format because there are some realy importent things That i need to back up before formating the C drive. Please if someone can help me.
Thnx

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
you said he got a Norton msg, so I would assume this means you have Norton AntiVirus? Do you have a bootable Norton CD that will allow you to do some virus cleanup? I run Norton AV. It is part of Norton System Works, and I have a bootable CD that gives the option of doing emergency recovery and cleanup of virus. Are you able to boot into safe mode?

If you know what the name of the virus was in that Norton msg you mentioned, and you have another PC with internet access, you could go to symantec.com and look for a removal tool.

PC prob

PC prob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Yes thnx for your advice. I set yesterday the hole day reading lots of forums and explanations on how I can fix this problem becuase I couldn't start in safe mode or in any mode nore the last know configuration. I had a bootable XP pro SP1 cd but when I booted from the cd I didn't get the option for recovery. I made 6 boot disks, in bios set the pc to boot from my USB-FDD. Inserted an unbootable win XP pro SP1 cd booted from the 6 disks than the recovery option appeared. I made a c:\chkdsk /p and a c:\chkdsk /r and now is every thing back to normal. I cleaned the virus backed up all my stuff.
In any case thnx for your help and I hope my explanation on how I solved the problem will help someone in the future. :tazz: