Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forced Login as Temp User

• Please log in to reply

Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

My desktop (Dell XPS) has been running very slow the last few days. I started a Symantec av scan last night before I went to bed. This morning, when I tried to log in, it sould it could not find find my profile. This happened about 3 times. I shutdown the box and tried logging in again. I was able to log in, but windows thought I was a brand new user and loaded just the basic desktop. All of my files were "gone". As I investigated, I found that my original account (mark) wsa still there (with my files) but a new "temp user" was added. It appears that when I login as mark, it applies the temp user settings.

I have already run SuperAntiSpyware and ATF.

If you need more info, please let me know. I appreciate your help!

Mark

Edited by Mark Johnson, 13 June 2007 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go into Control Panel -> User Accounts. Make a new account, move all your stuff from the previous account and delete that account.

Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks!!! I will do that.... any idea how it happened???