Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Too much RAM?

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have an Emachines PC. It came with a 15 GB hard drive and 64 mb of RAM. I added more memory and now have 256 mb of RAM. There are two slots for memory, I took out the one that was installed from the factory and installed the 256mb memory stick, so now I have just the one stick of 256mb of RAM. My question is, is it ok to add more RAM to the other slot, or is that the maximum I should have? Will that do damage to my PC if I add more RAM? Any input or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance... :whistling:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
RAM is fairly plug and play. Sometimes different RAM timings or companies will cause issues with each other. Testing this will not damage your system though. The max ammount of RAM your computer can handle is determined by two things. The first is your motherboard. You can find this information on the e-machines website. The other limit is in Windows. Windows 32bit can support 3.5gb of RAM (I think). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. You shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as that.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks so much for your help Titan8990, but I talked to an Emachines tech and was told that the max amount of RAM for this particular PC is 256 mb. I appreciate your input though. Have a great day! :whistling: