Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video mode not supported

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Greeting to all,

Recently I have been have trouble with starting up my desktop all the way into the desktop of my account. Just before the account selection page, (family computer you see) the screen goes zero-black and pop's out a box that moves around the screen bouncing off the sides. In the box writes,"Video mode not supported" and below that text has three colour boxes. Red green and blue.

85% of the time I try to start up it goes to that stage. 15% of the time I try to start up I manage to go in. (I'm posting this message from my laptop)

I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 153V. With refresh rate of 60 hertz. Please help.

I got this off the SAMSUNG website under the FAQ section.

If the power LED on your LCD monitor is blinking and you have no images on the screen, it's likely that you've set your video card to a refresh rate and/or a resolution your monitor can't handle. Your best bet is to reset the refresh rate to 60 Hz, which is the optimum refresh rate for all Samsung LCD monitors, and set the resolution to the optimum resolution for your monitor.

If your screen is blank and you need to re-set the refresh rate or resolution. you must boot your computer into Windows Safe Mode. To boot into Safe Mode, restart your computer, and then press F8 repeatedly. Once Windows is running in Safe Mode, you should be able to see an enlarged Windows desktop and access the Display Properties dialog through the Control Panel to change the refresh rate and resolution settings. When you are done. shut down your computer and re-boot into regular mode.

If you still have problem with the monitor, please contact our support line on 1300 362 603.

I did exactly what it writes. And restart into regular mode. I still get that freakin error. :whistling:

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
More than lilely you are trying to set the monitor to a larger resolution than it is capable of displaying,
reduce your monitor to say 1280X1024 and see if teh problem occours if not then raise your resolution each level until the error occours and tehn back it down to the previouse supported resoultion or better yet cheack the manual to see whats its max supported resoultion is

Hope that helps,
Troppo

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Actually i just found teh specs of your monitor its MAX resoultion is 1024X768 set it to that and your problems should hopefully disappear

Troppo

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
can you run the computer in safe mode?

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

can you run the computer in safe mode?

Yes I can.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Reinstall the video driver.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Reinstall the video driver.

How do I go about that?

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Please reply asap. I just got all the way into my desktop's desktop. So that means I'm able to go in. Tell me what to do and I'll follow tight. I'm leaving my desktop on so I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: If you have the drivers disk which you should have gotten with the pc reinstall the video driver.

2: If you don't have it please tell us the make and model of your computer and we'll try to find the correct driver.

3: Download Everest from the links at my signature. Go to Display > pci/agp video. Please quote the name of the devices shown in Device Description.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

2: If you don't have it please tell us the make and model of your computer and we'll try to find the correct driver.

3: Download Everest from the links at my signature. Go to Display > pci/agp video. Please quote the name of the devices shown in Device Description.

I'll take number one out. (:

Done what you said, here's what you need.

ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350)
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350)

I suspect that I have two drivers or something that made it crash that resulted in this. Is this possible? And how do we go about checking that? This is just a speculation. Tell me if it's even close to the problem. Lol.

Thanks 'The Skeptic' for helping me. Looking forward to your next reply soon.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download the driver from this page. Download option2. Save the downloaded file in a folder in which you can find it.

After you download and save the driver extract the content of the compressed file.

Go to device manager in Control Panel > System > hardware > device manager. Click on display adapters. Right click on the driver and choose Uninstall. Reboot. You will probably get a low quality display.

Go back to where the driver's extracted files are and install.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Download the driver from this page. Download option2. Save the downloaded file in a folder in which you can find it.

After you download and save the driver extract the content of the compressed file.

Go to device manager in Control Panel > System > hardware > device manager. Click on display adapters. Right click on the driver and choose Uninstall. Reboot. You will probably get a low quality display.

I am able to do all this in safe mode, right?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You have to be in Safe Mode with Networking to be able to connect to the internet and download file. Removing the old driver and installing the new one can be mafe in safe mode.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Greetings once again,

Sorry for taking time to do this, I'm pretty much busy in my school too.

I've done what you said on your previous post.

- Download the driver from that url, option 2. (DONE)
- Save and download the file in a folder. (DONE, placed in 'My Documents'.)
- Extract the content of the compressed file. (NOT DONE, the file came in 'Application' file type.)
- Go to device manager in 'Control Panel', enter display adapters, right click on the driver and choose 'Uninstall'. (DONE) *
- Reboot (DONE)
- Go to extracted files and install. (NOT DONE, file can not be extracted.) **

* In my display adapters section, I have two adapters written there.

Posted Image

I only right clicked the 'RADEON 9550', and uninstalled it. And it did not appear in the display adapters section. However, before making this post. I checked and it was still there. Prolly because I tried installing, in which it makes it appear. Speculations.

** This is what happened when I tried to install using the 'Application' file I downloaded from your link.

Posted Image
I didn't select 'Free Games Offer' and 'Earthism', if that makes a difference at all.

Posted Image
And then it told me DirectX 8 is not installed. This desktop of mine is at least 3 and a half years old. I've just been changing parts and updating stuff to survive till now without buying a new computer. Thing is, for all these years, I have been playing games on this desktop. And I'm pretty sure I do have DirectX 8, or even a later one. How do I check if I have DirectX #?

Posted Image
And so I clicked yes, since there is a possibility.

Posted Image
Went all the way into the installation process and it tells me,"Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will not exit." What?!

Now I also have one question on a small side track. Why is it that I am able to start up at times without having to see that 'Video mode not supported' error and sometimes they just keep coming even if I restart?

Please help me!

Thank you! You are very much appreciated.

Regards,
Jay

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have the exact same video card as you, so I'm just popping in to see how this pans out... Mine works fine, by the way. Currently I am using 7.4 drivers, will be updating shortly. I have always updated them.

Also, if it helps any, my system also displays the original and the "secondary" cards under device manager, so this must be normal - just so you know!
And to check DirectX, follow these instructions from the Microsoft website:

Check DirectX
To determine which version of Microsoft Direct X you are running:

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type dxdiag

3. Click OK. A dialog box displays the version that you are running.