Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfering files from old comp to new- best method

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I recently finished a new build using SATA drives. The old comp has PATA drives- a 80GB and a 120 or 200GB ( I can't remember.) I have another 300GB SATA that I want to use to transfer all the files from the old comp to the new. The new box runs XP, but I wanted to use the new SATA drive to set up dual boot for Vista (since I got the upgrade when I purchased the OS for the new box.)

I figure I can use a pata 2 Sata adapter and put the new SATA drive in the old comp to copy my files. So my questions are:

A. Will that work?
B. What file system should I format the SATA with so I can set it up for dual boot supporting Vista in the new comp.?
C. What difficulties might I encounter transfering the files this way?
D. Is there a better way to do the transfer and set up the dual boot?

Thanks

Advertisements