Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP hangs during shutdown after updates applied

• Please log in to reply

vsalzman

vsalzman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,

Has anyone else run across this today? I have several WinXP SP2 machines that automatically ran the latest batch of Windows Updates last night. Now when the users try to shut down or log off, the "Windows is shutting down" message appears, then goes away, then we are left with the blue screen (not BSOD!) that normally appears during shut down. However, the PC just hangs there. We've left them for 30 minutes and nothing happens. They have to be manually powered off. They were fine before the updates last night. Before I remove those updates, I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem. I searched Microsoft's knowledgebase with no luck. I have also ran SpyBot, AdAware and HiJack this, nothing was found. Any clues? Thanks!

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I did not have this problem after installing updates, and don't know of anybody (besides you) who has.

First, could you go into Safe Mode and try a shutdown to see if that works? Just press F8 a few times before the XP boot screen appears with the XP logo and choose Safe Mode from the list.

What happens if you disable the Welcome screen? You can do this by going to Start | Control Panel | User Accounts (then User Accounts icon if in Category view) | Change the way users log on or off | and uncheck "Use the Welcome screen." This will make logging on and off look different.

I found a Microsoft article on this problem here, but it says the fix was in SP1, it doesn't help much.

vsalzman

vsalzman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I saw that MS article too and several others that really didn't apply! As far as the Welcome screen, we are on a network and all PCs are part of the domain, so instead of the Welcome screen we have the network logon screen. I believe that is controlled by Group Policy. There isn't an option to change how users logon, I'm assuming since the PC is part of the domain. :whistling:

I also did try shutting down in safe mode and it seems to work fine from there, so that tells me there is some service that is hanging. I think I'll try removing the patches from Tuesday one at a time and see if that reverses the problem.

Thanks again for your help!!

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK, good luck! :whistling: