Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Battery Problems

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
(I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum...sorry!)

I have an hp pavilion laptop, and the battery isn't very good. For one thing, it takes only about an hour for it to run out. It doesn't warn me about low battery or go into sleep mode, but instead crashes at about 20% power. But the worst problem I have with it, is that the battery drains, even if the laptop is completely shut off. It can be running on battery power, and I will turn it off at about 80% power remaining. By the next morning, it won't turn on unless it's on AC power, because it is at 0%. Does anyone know why this happens and if there is anything I can do to fix the problem, or at least make it better? (Besides buying a new battery)

Thank you,
Amanda

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I think that I would disable standby and hibernate and recalibrate the battery. Here's a link that I found for a hp pavillion ze4400. Not sure if it's the same for yours:

" You can recalibrate the battery by pressing F6 early in the boot process (when you would normally press F2 to enter BIOS). This will run a process that will charge, discharge and charge the battery and recalibrate the battery capacity. "

http://forums1.itrc....767637 28353475

Not sure if it will work but it's worth a try. How old is the battery?

edit...if the above doesn't work to recalibrate, I'll need the model number to look up the specific directions on how to do it...

Edited by macten, 13 June 2007 - 11:41 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Take a look at this link:

http://h10025.www1.h...n...=en&lang=en

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks macten!

I tried the F6 method, but nothing happened when I pressed it, haha. I have an hp pavilion zv5000, so I guess it's not the same.

I followed the instructions from the second link, so I'll see if it has any effect. Although I may end up needing a new battery anyways. I've had this laptop about 3-4 years and it has its original battery. But being poor as I am, I want to put every effort towards saving it!

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
:whistling: It's still the same.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
the battery probably needs to be replaced but I would send an email to HP explaining the problem just to be sure....

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
My warentee was up in like 3 days so I took it in and they sent me a new battery. Everything was fine for a few weeks, but I'm having problems again. It doesn't drain when it's off, and it can last up to 2 hours. I say CAN because it used to reach 3%, and then I would plug it in. Then 10% and I would plug it in. But now - it crashes and erases my work at 20-30%! I don't even get a warning because the warning is set for 10%, because why wouldn't I think it could go down to at least 10% before quitting??

Do I have to take it back?