Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus problem, system wipe?

• Please log in to reply

Moeror

Moeror

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Well i was sent here by someone on Annoyances.org, they said this is a good malware forum. Yesterday my computer started up and my qwireless mouse and keyboard wouldnt work and my internet and antivirus program wouldn't work either. I was able to get mouse and keyboard working again, but my AVG is still messed up, it wasn't able to scan my hard drive.. i tried to delete it and get a new install program off my friends internet but it won't install either. I was able to get Bitdefender adaware and spybot search and destroy on there, as well as avast. I did numerous scans and I still can't get on internet. I know it's not my network card cause it says its connected but nothing coming in or out. Someone mentioned that the virus might have coded things on some files so using AV programs won't work and I might have to wipe my system. I tried a system restore but that didn't help. What do you all think? Another thing I noticed, is spybot mentioned it couldnt scan some files because they were archive password protected. I havent done anything like that to any of my files. Any help you guys give would be very appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Moeror, welcome to Geeks to Go! Yes we have a good malware forum, here is what you need to do:

Follow this link and complete all instructions. If you can't complete any of the steps, write down any error messages or what else happens that doesn't let you complete it, then just move on and go to the next step. Once you have finished everything, you can post in this forum. Make sure that you put as much information as you can, so the helper can get the best overall picture of the problems.

Include:
1. Computer specs
2. Previous activity (like scans and stuff)
3. Errors whilst following our instructions page (first link I provided)
4. HiJackThis log and install information (as instructed on the link also).

Please be patient as the malware forum is extremely busy, do not bump (double post) your topic, it doesn't help. If you have posted and need to make some changes, use the EDIT function.

No need to go wiping the system just yet, we should be able to sort you out!

Cheers :whistling: