Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new laptop...

• Please log in to reply

goaldenboy

goaldenboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been researching and researching laptops for the past few days and I was hoping maybe you guys could help me decide. I basically need a laptop for normal everyday use...microsoft office, watching dvds, listening to music and so on. In addition to that, I am just getting into web design (photoshop, Adobe CS3). I am trying to stay as close to 800 as possible as I am a student on a budget, but if I need to pay more I will. What should I be looking for considering all these things?

Dell Inspiron E1505 (6400) with Intel® Core™ Duo T2350 (1.86GHz X 2 = 3.72GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Inspiron 6400 Intel® Core™ Duo T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm

256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory

160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Integrated Audio

Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

That setup I can get for about $900, which is more than I want to spend.

The one closer to my price range is the same with these exceptions:

Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2080 (1MB/1.73GHz/533MHz)

AND

Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM

for about $800

I am buy no means settled on this Model (Dell E1505), it just seems to be the best I have been able to find.
Any help or suggestions that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a TON!

Matt

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
You will notice a slight difference in speed between the T2350 and the T2080 due to the cache size

But just a correction just because the CPU is dual core does not mean that the CPU clock speed is twice the speed
all it means is that you have to cores to run different proccesses on not twice the clock speed. your CPU will still run at 1.86Ghz (or 1.73Ghz Depending on your decision) but compared to a single core CPU it runs faster

Also any of thoose laptops will be fine for your needs except if you are moving towards more grahics design the on-board video might not be the best option but its more than likely a dedicated grahics card will be out of your price range unfortunetly

hope that helps,
Troppo