Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

tedbeau

tedbeau

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to fix a friends computer. Here are stats. Compaq 5240 desktop, Windows ME connected thru netgear router (Wired) to cablemodem. Her brother-in-law may have sent a virus/trojan infected email to her. All of a sudden her desktop is littered with links to interent gambling sites, plus links to spyware removal tools. When this happened her computer would lockup upon startup.

What I have done;
Control/Alt/Deleted there were many many things running, many with criptic names, many "Rebate" type services. I stop as many of them as I could. Several times when stopping a program the computer would simply reboot and some of the ones I had stopped would restart on reboot.

Booted into safemode, used msconfig/startup to stop some of the processes.

Went into add/remove programs, removed what I could.
There were some that could not be removed by either method above. In particular one called "Aircity" Actually two occurances running all the time.

I went into Regeditor and searched for aircity key. Found several, tried to delete the keys but they seem to recreate themselves.

Eventualy they dissappeared from process box (Control/Alt/Delete). However now when I click on IE to connect to internet it does not open. When I control/alt/delete IExpolrer is there, but when I end task it "Has stopped responding". If I click on IE three times, there are 3 nonworking events in the task manager window. (could't think of the correct term for that before!!!)

What I intend to do next;
I have downloaded your win2fix.exe software to a thumb drive, will run it to try and fix IE. I also have a copy of Adaware on the thumb drive to install. I also will try to install Xoftspy.

I will then install your hijackthis software and attempt to get a log file.

Any further suggestion?

Thanks

Ted

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi and welcome tedbeau
You seem to be heading in the right direction,
I would say have a look at this Topic