Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Streaming

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am having an issue with streaming via WMP. Yesterday I installed a new CD/DVD burner into my computer. In the process, I noticed that I had to reinstall my audio drivers as well as a few other programs. Anyways, ever since then I am having difficulty streaming music videos. Sometimes it is okay and it downloads like fine. Other times, it will stall and the bottom will say, "Connecting." Then only the first frame of the video appears rather than playing the entire video. I know that the video is actually playing because I can hear the audio playing in the background, but the only thing that I can see is the first frame of the video. It's almost as if the video freezes on that first frame, while the audio and everything else plays. Like I said, this only happens on some music videos and others.

Any idea what is wrong? Do I need to resintall some other drivers perhaps? Is this possibly related to the new CD/DVD burner I just installed? Any help would be appreciated. I've never quite encountered this problem before.

Thanks.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
could be a codec problem. try downloading the codec pack from the link below and installing it and restarting then try playing a video again.

you should be ok with just downloading the basic pack, which is the first download link.
K-Lite Codec Pack

good luck

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
codec doctor go here download sherlock the codec doctor. it will save you alot of headaches if you think you have codec problems. you might want to down load a dvd decoder im not sure if one comes in the k=lite pack. codecs.com is a very good site for what your looking for. but let the codec doctor have a look first.

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Okay, so first off, thank you both for replying and sending helpful links. krmooo, I tried your suggestion first because you said it was easy to use and may even have a few things that the K-Lite codec pack didn't have. It was very easy to install and didn't require me to do anything, which is nice because I don't really know much about codecs. Unfortunately, I was still having the same problems. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway though!

As to ViprXX, I downloaded the K-Lite Code Pack and it was very easy and practically did everything for me. At first, I just checked a couple of boxes on the Code Tweak Tool that looked like it was applicable to my problem but it still did not fix the issue I was having. I ran it again and checked every single box available. Well, it might be too soon to tell, but so far every video I've tried to stream since has worked! Thank you so much for your help and the great K-Lite link. That program is great!!!

Thanks again to you both for your help.

-Vacant