Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wrong drivers/native sata

• Please log in to reply

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi, i just got a new hp notebook, and after using vista for about 2 hours i decided to downgrade to xp pro. My first problem was that i couldn't install it because i have a sata hd, and xp does not recognize sata hard drives during installation, so i disabled native sata, which got me around that, however when i try to reenable it my computer can't start up... i was doing some research online and read that enabling native sata allows the hd to run more efficiently and just better overall. I just want some opinions as to how much of an effect this will have. Second was the problems i had trying to find the drivers for my computer. HP's lack of drivers for his model (dv9207us) was frustrating, i think they had maybe 3 drivers for windows xp... so i ended up having to use drivers from other computers. I checked the hardware on the computers and they looked to be similar if not the same, and in the end i got rid of all the annoying question marks. One thing i couldn't get rid of was a "SM Bus driver" i honestly looked for hours, and came across a page somewhere that said something about sm bus being related to the chipset. So i found online that the chipset i had was from nvidia, i downloaded it but the yellow mark was still there, then i downloaded an intel chipset driver and that fixed the problem, so after all that, what i want to know is that will installing an intel chipset driver for my nvidia chipset have any harmful effects? Or lag the computer capabilities? Also all i could find was the VIDEO chipset was nvidia, but i couldn't find anything about just a "chipset", are they the same or two different things? Sorry for this insanely long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated, cause right now i'm completely out of ideas.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
it actually sounds like you installed the correct SM bus driver. usually if you try to install the wrong one windows tells you. and Nvidia is your video card, I don't think its who makes your chipset. If everything is working ok with the intel chipset driver then I wouldn't worry. Also to save some trouble from the start there is a way to load drivers for your sata hard drive at the beginning of win xp setup. its near the beginning it will say "Press F6 to load any scsi or third party drivers" (something like that). you'd need to find out what hard drive make/model you have and download the drivers from there site onto a 3.5" floppy. Anyways I think you'll be alright if your not having problems and like I said windows usually tells you if your trying to install the wrong drivers.

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hey thanks for the replay, i actually wanted to load the drivers myself but 1) i looked everywhere but couldn't find the drivers and 2) i don't have a floppy drive on this.