Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

I don't know what's wrong

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I have XP Pro X64 SP2, SATA, Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 motherboard, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320Gb, AMD Athlon 64 3200 CPU, twin sticks of Ballistix (1Gx2), 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC 3200 and twin sticks of Kingston Kingston Dual Channel (512Mbx2) RAM. I switched around the RAM using every conceivable configuration but it made no difference.

The last time my computer crashed was when I connected a Promise SATA300 TX4 BULK 4-PORT sata pci Adapter and connected 2 SATA ext hdds to it. It immediately blew my PSU and floppy drive. I bought a new Corsair 620W and a new floppy drive and installed them.

I waited a while before I connected the SATA card again, and when I did, it didn't cause a problem, so I plugged in an ext SATA hdd and my computer didn't crash again but the drive wasn't recognized by My Computer. I tried another SATA ext hdd but it didn't work either so I uninstalled and removed the SATA card.

When my computer first crashed after the first installation of the SATA card, I'm wondering if something happened to either my motherboard or my internal hdd. I did a complete reformat but it didn't change the the speed. It's slower than my old computer that was almost 5 years old and had only 1024Mb RAM.

I don't know if it's my mobo or the hdd. My Computer recognizes the 4 sticks of RAM.

I have very large files, 700Mb+ on a few ext hdds. When I move one of the large files from my C drive, it takes about a minute before it completely transfers over to an ext hdd. I then back it up by copying it to another ext hdd and it takes about 10 seconds.

Also, when the pc is doing something such as copying a file, I can't do anything else, such as renaming another file.

What could be causing this? Are there any programs that I can use that will scan my pc for problems. I used ckdsk but it found nothing wrong.