Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem opening desktop folders

• Please log in to reply

jim007

jim007

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I have a strange problem that has just recently ocurred.
When I try to open self-created folders on the desktop ,I get the search dialogue box open up instead. If I right click on the folders and click on "open" then they will open up. Desktop shortcuts work Ok and so do Windows folders such as My Documents.
Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can cure this problem?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Jim

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
this might solve the problem. locate and open the folder that has the view setting that you want to use for all folders.on your explorer bar go to tools>folder options>on the view tab, click apply to all folders >click yes and ok. to reset to the default view follow the above but click the reset all folders option.

jim007

jim007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your response but I have tried that but it makes no difference.
I have noticed that when right clicking on a folder "search " is at the top of the dropdown list. But if I do the same to a Windows folder "open " is at the top.
Any ideas please?
Jim

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
click start run and type regedt32.exe Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell make sure in the data box the value is set to none. right click on the folder you created and go to properties see what the file ext is. it might be windows doesnt reconize the .ext so you would select the program to use to open your file.

Edited by krmooo, 14 June 2007 - 07:18 PM.

jim007

jim007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorrry but I cannot follow that.
I have got to the shell folder but what do you mean by click on default value?
Jim

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
jim i think this should solve this issue. sorry it took so long..

Go to Start => Run and type in "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" {without the
quotes}, and click OK

jim007

jim007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Thanks for that info.
I have done what you suggested which has got the folders out of search mode but they are now in explorer mode.
That is if I right click on a folder "explorer" is at the top of the drop down list and "open" is second below it.
Is there any way I can "open" to the top of the drop down list.
Thanks
Jim