Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

Frasier

Frasier

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have inherited a laptop running Windows 2000 Pro and am trying to adjust the start up processes etc. Typing msconfig as I do in XP doesn't work and if anyone can tell me how to do it in 2000 it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try going here..get the second one down...
Windows 2000 users should download it to C:\WINNT\system32. The Help File for Windows 2000 should be downloaded to the C:\WINNT\Help folder....

Frasier

Frasier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply. That works.

Having looked at the start up menu there are lots of items ticked - advice on which are essential and which can be unchecked would be appreciated. I am trying to get the machine to load more quickly as at the moment it is taking over 5 minutes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
on a desktop you uncheck everuthing EXCEPT the AV and firewall...on a laptop you have to be more selective or your touchpad ...wireless and things like that won't work...you will have to google each one and then decide what you can get rid of on the start up....

these tweaks will speed you up some...
turn off indexing...click ...START...MY COMPUTER...right click on the hard drive...properties..uncheck allow indexing and compress drive...then click on OK...when it asks about subfolders say YES...it will take a little while to finish...

go to add/remove programs and get rid of anything you don't want or use
get rid of real player... Quicktime ...and Adobe reader
they are resource hogs
get CCLEANER here
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

this replace's Adobe reader
Foxit Reader is a free utility that includes some tools that Adobe lacks, including a "typewriter" tool that lets you type text over any PDF, and edit any of the text they contain. not just files that have been set with form fields.
Foxit launches very quickly (in about one second) and it requires no installation... It allows you open, view, print, and change the page layout in PDF files. For some functions, such as the typewriter function, FoxIt Reader shows an ad for FoxIt Reader Pro. However, these functions still work with minor limitations.
get foxit reader

I highly recommend these alternatives to quicktime and real player..
they both are
- Quick and easy install..about 30 seconds..
- No background processes
- Low on resources
- Smaller size
quicktime alternative

Real Alternative.... will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer or RealOne Player.
==================================================================
Starting Disk Cleanup

* Click Start ... Programs... Accessories ... System Tools ... Disk Cleanup
OR
* In Windows Explorer or My Computer... right-click the disk in which you want to free up space... click Properties... click the General tab... and then click Disk Cleanup....

next get diskeeper lite here...
and Defragment Your Computer

I hate newspaper articles that start on the front page but continue somewhere in the middle of the newspaper. I could get through the article much faster if it was printed on consecutive pages like a magazine article. Files on your computer can either be fragmented like a newspaper, or unfragmented like a magazine. Over time, more and more files become fragmented. When a file is fragmented, it takes longer for the computer to read it because it has to skip to different sections of the hard disk—just like it takes me a few seconds to find a page in the middle of a newspaper.

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows....
you should time your computer before doing these and then again after doing the tweaks..

Edited by happyrck, 15 June 2007 - 07:27 AM.

Frasier

Frasier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks again for the reply and the very detailed instructions - I will work through those!

Much appreciated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you shouldn't have any problems... :whistling: