Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition Repair!

• Please log in to reply

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello! I am wanting to perform a "Repair" install of XP Home Edition. I have an OEM version of Windows so no XP CD to boot. I only have the 'Recovery Tool CD & Recovery Discs' available. I don't think I can use the Recovery Discs or Recovery Tools CD to do a repair, right? If not, then what things can I use for a "Repair" install? What about Bart's PE or using another family members XP boot CD? I already have a Bart's PE boot disc made just to have if needed. Thanks guys & help is appreciated! :whistling:

Edited by Tone Loc, 14 June 2007 - 12:35 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Tone Loc.
What is the Make and Model of your computer?
Do any of them Say Operating system?

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello Tone Loc.
What is the Make and Model of your computer?
Do any of them Say Operating system?

Well, it appears that things are fixed now without a "Repair" of Windows. I had run "chkdsk /f /r" on 2 different occasions & things were never fixed. However, I run "chkdsk /f /r" with my "Recovery Tools CD" in the ROM tray drive & things are now back working normally with "Safe Mode" & the Windows defrag utility working properly. The wonders of an XP machine. I was getting reporting of 'bad sectors' or 'file corruption' when running the "chkdsk" utility but since the fix with my Recovery Tools CD then things appear OK again. Thanks anyhow! :whistling:

Edited by Tone Loc, 18 June 2007 - 03:19 PM.

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The problem is back again! Can't boot into "Safe Mode" plus getting the warning from Windows defrag utility about "chkdsk" scheduled to run. Can I run just the "Recovery Console" instead of doing a "Repair" install to fix things? Thanks guys! :whistling:

BTW, I am running Windows XP Home on a Copmaq Presario Desktop PC(2.5 GHZ processor). This PC is over 3 years old. It's been re-formatted 3 times including the last time in early March of this year. Thanks guys!

Edited by Tone Loc, 18 June 2007 - 03:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tone Loc...

Yes, you can use Recovery Console for this.

Boot to Recovery Console, select your operating system, enter your password (or just press Enter if you haven't set one), and type chkdsk /r at the prompt...press Enter. Once the checks complete (this is a long one), type exit and press Enter. The machine should reboot and load Windows.

wannabe1

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi Tone Loc...

Yes, you can use Recovery Console for this.

Boot to Recovery Console, select your operating system, enter your password (or just press Enter if you haven't set one), and type chkdsk /r at the prompt...press Enter. Once the checks complete (this is a long one), type exit and press Enter. The machine should reboot and load Windows.

wannabe1

Yeah! That password thing is getting me. I remember trying this before & I can't get beyond the password deal. What type password is the system looking for here? I do have administrator privileges but I don't see what type password the system is wanting. Is it my Windows login password? If not, then when would the system have asked for such a password in the past? I have already tried hitting "Enter" with a blank password but that doesn't work either. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
This would be the password that was set when you installed your operating system.

Edited by tuxmaster, 19 June 2007 - 08:43 PM.

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

This would be the password that was set when you installed your operating system.

When it was originally installed? This is an OEM(came pre-installed when bought) version & this PC has been re-formatted 3 times since then. I don't remember the system asking for a password or setting a password during the re-formats. Thanks! :whistling:

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

When it was originally installed? This is an OEM(came pre-installed when bought) version & this PC has been re-formatted 3 times since then. I don't remember the system asking for a password or setting a password during the re-formats. Thanks! :whistling:

Then leave it blank and click enter

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that password is either blank or it's your administrator (the actual administrator account that's named administrator) password

Tone Loc

Tone Loc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've already tried the blank thing but it didn't work so I don't know because I didn't set a password for the "administrator" account. Thanks! :whistling: