Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lethal Virus

• Please log in to reply

winbacker

winbacker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think my computer may have been killed by a lethal virus.

Yesterday, I had left my computer unattended for about half an hour, so it went into its usual screen saver mode. However, when I returned to it yesterday, the screen was blue and a white message on the very top appeared.

Without reading the message, I pressed ctrl alt del, and nothing happened. Now usually, when this sort of thing happens, which is rare, I reboot my computer and everything is fine. Foolishly, I did not read the message, and simply proceeded to reboot, because that always worked in the past, without problems. But yesterday, after I rebooted, the computer was unable to restart....at all.

Basically now, whenever I power on the computer, it starts wherring and humming, BUT the screen doesn't "click on" and it stays blank. And the wherring humming is just the sound of electricity going through the computer, because I don't hear that distinct "urping" noise that tells that the computer as actually progressing. Forgive my poor choice of words. Anyway, the light that flickers when the computer is working is now constantly on, instead of only flickering when the computer is working. And basically the computer stays that way, without doing anything, for hours. It never boots up. I checked all wiring connections, and pressed buttons on the keybord and mouse, and I've rebooted several times, all to no avail.

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary these past few days, EXCEPT, I purchased an mp3 player 2 days ago, and just transfered some songs onto it from my hard drive, and I installed the mp3 player software on my computer. Other than that, I have done nothing out of the ordinary. I also seem to remember the blue screen coming on as i plugged in the usb cable for my mp3 player to the USB port..but i could be wrong....I also think maybe some critical files for booting up my comp have been damaged or destroyed.

I have the feeling my computer is done for, and that I'll have to basically reformat my HD and reinstall Windows....but I won't until I get advice from an expert of course....any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Win

Advertisements