Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Range

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I have a pci wireless card. I got a signal with one bar and 5.5mbps. I wanted to increase my network range and strength so I bought a highgain 7dbi antenna and attatched it to my wireless card in my desktop. Now I get no signal but if I move desktop one room over I get a one bar 1mbps signal. I don't understand why the 7dbi antenna is giving me less range and a weaker signal then the small 2dbi antenna that came with my card. Am I missing something?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The wireless card (the receiver) is only one half of the equation. The other half is the wireless router (the transmitter) which is equally important. It too must be a long range model, preferrably with several antennas instead of a single one. When trying to improve wireless range you must upgrade both the card and the router together. I had poor range with a Belkin 54mb router and matching PC card for my laptop. Since replacing them with a Netgear 'MIMO' 108mb Rangemax router and matching 'MIMO' laptop card I can now use the internet all round my house and in my garden.

Edited by pip22, 20 June 2007 - 03:43 AM.