Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE home page different from launch page

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I recently changed ISP's and I stupidly used a CD they provided. It's caused nothing but trouble. When I launch IE, it loads my ISP's portal. I have set Google as my home page. Proof of this is that whenever I click on the home icon, Google is loaded. The question is, why does it load a different page on start-up??? I thought it was supposed to load your home page. I've looked all over IE and don't see any other setting for such a function. BTW, it's XP SP2 and IE 7.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You didn't see anything about changing home page under Tools, Internet Options on the General tab?

Ron

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
As I said, I have already changed the home page to "www.google.ca". Clciking on the home icon takes me there, but at first launch of IE, I get my ISP's portal instead of google.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

Just take a look at the following and see if they match:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Let me know if you would feel comfortable modifying these if they don't match.

Ron

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
The first two folders don't even exist and the third folder does not contain the key you mention.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen this problem not a long time ago when I installed the drivers for a usb modem. Try to uninstall the modem driver in device manager and use the cd for reinstallation. Go slowly through all the steps of installation and try to locate the step in which you can choose the page file. If you do not succeed call the technical support of your isp. I am more then positive that they can help you.

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I believe you have responded to the wrong topic.

As for my problem, I decided to search the registry for the name of my ISP portal URL and lo and behold, I found it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main
I changed a few references there and a couple more in

HKEY_USERS... something or other...

and the problem is resolved.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad you got it resolved. That's the problem with not being able to see all the relevant keys in the registry from "here". Thanks for using GTG.

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I did not respond to the wrong topic. Luckily for you you know what registry is and have the courage to change values. Most of the people approaching G2G are not capable of doing this. We don't encourage people to change registry unless they get specific guidance.

If you knew what you were doing then that's very nice. If you didn't and by chance managed to solve the problem then you are lucky. You could end up with a real mess. You could just as well approach your isp and fix the problem in five minutes.