Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Computer won't boot.

• Please log in to reply

pstimmell

pstimmell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I play mmorpg on my PC at home. Lately (with the warm weather) it's been crashing. It's an older computer with a newer vid card and increased RAM. I figured it was overheating as it never happens during the cooler months. So I went to the store, bought a few new fans (front and rear case fan, and a PCI slot fan). I then came home, took the side of the case off, blew the case out with canned air, then inserted the 3 new fans (on a single power supply, just stacked them). Plugged the computer back in, turned it on to make sure everything worked. Fans worked fine. Turned it off, connected everything else (monitor, speakers, etc.) then turned it back on. The computer went to the boot screen and seemed to get stuck on "Auto-Detecting Pri Master". Eventually it moved on from there and flew through the rest of the boot process...then nothing...black screen.

I am not a computer savvy guy, I can figure stuff out, know the basics, and am mechanically adept. Can someone help me, tell me what to look for, or do I need to take this thing in to the local shop and pay some outrageous rate for some guy to tell me that something's screwed.

The only thing I can think of is that when I blew the case out, I froze something. After I blew it out, it took me at least 10-15 minutes to put the fans in, so I can't imagine it would have still been frozen.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
was the computer unplugged from the wall when you put in the fans...try disconnecting the fans you just added or put them on a different power connecter than the one they are on now...