Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I thought he was always a monkey. I assumed that mod-ing is how he became purple.....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i started out as a monkey....however....i only got rabies after comming here....(thanks KAT....someone really should get her to take her shots from the VET)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I didnt think rabies was cureable once you had it? I thought the only fate was to take em behind the shed and ole yeller em.

Sad, but it must be done :whistling:

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I didnt think rabies was cureable once you had it? I thought the only fate was to take em behind the shed and ole yeller em.

WHAT IS RABIES?

Rabies is a viral disease that affects the nervous,system of mammals. In the last stages of the disease, the virus moves from the brain into the salivary glands and saliva. From there the virus can be transmitted through a bite or by contact with mucous membranes (nose, mouth, and eyes). It is fatal once symptoms occur. Dogs can be infectious to others for as long as 2 weeks before the symptoms of the disease appear, hence the need to confine and observe suspect animals.

IS RABIES CURABLE?

There is no cure once the signs of rabies appear. It is then inevitably fatal. However, the relatively long incubation period allows post-exposure therapy to be effective if done correctly.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF RABIES IN ANIMALS?

Symptoms of rabies in animals may include any one or more of the following signs: excitability; vicious behavior or attacks; biting; agitation; restlessness; uncharacteristic aggression; fearlessness; excessive salivation (so-called frothing at the mouth); aversion to water (where the name "hydrophobia" comes from); inability to swallow or drink; dilated pupils; muscular dysfunction; coordination or gait irregularities; paralysis; convulsions; and eventually death, almost always within 10 days. These symptoms are referred to as furious rabies........dsenette I can see how being here can give you some of theses symptoms

All info Provided courtesy of Kim Bartlett, Publisher of ANIMAL PEOPLE Newspaper [email protected] Here

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well hold on, I think dsenette has a little life left in him yet, it's alright as long as he keeps his muzzle on... But how did you get purple, dsenette? I'm sorry if this is common knowledge, but for the unenlightened?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i got sick and turned green for a while...then i didn't get my way so i held my breath till i turned blue...they still didn't give me what i wanted so i kept holding my breath untill i turned purple....still haven't seen that rocket scooter i asked for....if i keep holding my breath i might turn red

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

vicious behavior or attacks; biting; agitation; restlessness; uncharacteristic aggression; fearlessness; excessive salivation (so-called frothing at the mouth); aversion to water (where the name "hydrophobia" comes from); inability to swallow or drink; dilated pupils; muscular dysfunction; coordination or gait irregularities;

Sounds like my ex-wife :whistling:

Edited by jaxisland, 03 July 2007 - 07:09 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

IS RABIES CURABLE?

There is no cure once the signs of rabies appear. It is then inevitably fatal. However, the relatively long incubation period allows post-exposure therapy to be effective if done correctly.

Thats wrong it depends how late you catch it (well humans anyways), if it's in it's early stages your fine (if you take the vaccinations after you get it of course). I know as they wanted me to take the shot when I went to africa, but you need to take 3 and they are 150$ a shot. I think thats criminal :whistling: So I didn't take it, well and I hate needles.

vicious behavior or attacks; biting; agitation; restlessness; uncharacteristic aggression; fearlessness; excessive salivation (so-called frothing at the mouth); aversion to water (where the name "hydrophobia" comes from); inability to swallow or drink; dilated pupils; muscular dysfunction; coordination or gait irregularities;

Sounds like my ex-wife ph34r.gif

She might want to get a check up.

James

Edited by james_8970, 03 July 2007 - 01:54 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Once the symptoms of rabies appear, it's too late. There is only one known case of a human surviving late stage rabies. Either get the early prevention shots, or start preparing a will.

Shots are given in each bite mark, each limb, and the trunk, plus a number of follow up shots. :whistling:

Due to vaccinations, very few domesticated pets spread rabies. However, they're on the spread as the suburbs grow. Squirrels, raccoons, and bats are among the carriers. Bats are especially bad, as you may never know if you've been bit.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Also I thought the only true way to check for rabies was a brain dissection?

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
That's why they always give shots :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Once the symptoms of rabies appear, it's too late. There is only one known case of a human surviving late stage rabies. Either get the early prevention shots, or start preparing a will.

Shots are given in each bite mark, each limb, and the trunk, plus a number of follow up shots. :blink:

Due to vaccinations, very few domesticated pets spread rabies. However, they're on the spread as the suburbs grow. Squirrels, raccoons, and bats are among the carriers. Bats are especially bad, as you may never know if you've been bit.

Well glade I didn't get it then, I should go wack my doctor on back of the head :whistling: .....then again I probably mis understood her.
James

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I had a dog we kept in a pen in the back yard under a nice pine tree for shade, One day we are out in the back yard and the dog is barking and digging at the bottom of the pen yep you guessed it a bat was his play toy.
We called animal rescue they came picked up the bat and said we need to take the dog too to test him as well well short story long the bat tested positive for rabies and with my wife 6 months pregnant at the time the decision was we had to put the dog down.
Now the fun part the animal control officer calls me up and asks did you handle the dog ? Yes , well call your DR.
You know the horror stories you hear about them sticking a needle in your stomach 25 times ? not true its 18 in your a$$ and a very uncomfortable 30 minute ride home from the Dr's office 5 days of this joy !!!

Wait it gets better the local news station wanted to come in and interview me while I was getting the shots :whistling:
I passed on that one :blink:

Oh by the way this was much easier to type with a nice cold Corona on the desk !!!!!

Happy 4th all

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I had a dog we kept in a pen in the back yard under a nice pine tree for shade, One day we are out in the back yard and the dog is barking and digging at the bottom of the pen yep you guessed it a bat was his play toy.
We called animal rescue they came picked up the bat and said we need to take the dog too to test him as well well short story long the bat tested positive for rabies and with my wife 6 months pregnant at the time the decision was we had to put the dog down.
Now the fun part the animal control officer calls me up and asks did you handle the dog ? Yes , well call your DR.
You know the horror stories you hear about them sticking a needle in your stomach 25 times ? not true its 18 in your a$$ and a very uncomfortable 30 minute ride home from the Dr's office 5 days of this joy !!!

Wait it gets better the local news station wanted to come in and interview me while I was getting the shots :whistling:
I passed on that one :blink:

Oh by the way this was much easier to type with a nice cold Corona on the desk !!!!!

Happy 4th all

I'll take my rye and coke over that Corona :help: Well glade you came out ok anyways, sucks to lose a dog to it though.
To all your canadians, hope you guys had a great July 1st! To all the Americans, hope you have a happy and safe July 4th!
James