Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Humph. I'm drinking Welch's Grape Juice, made with Concord Grapes, pretending I'm old enough to drink wine.

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
You are drinking wine....Young wine.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
All is well and no talk about food or drink

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

however, this game is an opportunity to stick it to the Queeenslanders

HAH stick it yourself, we won the series, the shield is ours! GO QUEENSLAND :blink:

Darn ... I was hoping you'd miss my post! Oh, well, congratulations I suppose :whistling: What great games!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I decided that I didn't like what I wrote so I changed it, but it hasn't changed your quote of me - sorry :whistling:

But yeah, we got wooped last night, great second half for the Blues, and I have to admit for his debut - El Masri played absolutely awesome! Great kicking.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
What is the oldest functioning pc that anyone has here?
I have a Packard Bell Platinum 1560, I am not sure how old it is but the sticker on front brags about a 2.5 gig hard drive,
a 166 Mhz Intel processor and 32 mb of ram upgradeable to 128 mb.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have one dated in 1991 I believe with 16mb of ram (two sticks of 8mb). Though its sitting at the bottom of my drive way hoping the garage truck will pick it up, though I'm doubtful they will considering it contains lead and such which should be disposed of differently. Maybe a new guy will be on my block tomorrow.

The first computer my family got was in 1999 from some close friends, it had DOS I believe and dated back before I was born (1989), I can't remember the exact date though I think it was 1985, it even had a turbo button! Though I don't know what this did, the hard drive was large with only MBs of storage. It had the real HUGE floppys discs, not the compact floppy disc we used later on. Shame to say I no longer have this computer (threw that one out a month ago), if I did I would crack it open to take a closer look.

James

Edited by james_8970, 04 July 2007 - 11:32 PM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
If the turbo button was active the computer would run at full speed (33 MHz I think). If the Turbo button was not pressed, the computer would run slower (for backward compatibility 16 MHz I think).

Those large disks (5 1/4 inch) stored 360K. I cannot remember if that was high density or double density.... I know that would have been double sided. I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those...I still have stuff on 5 1/4 inch floppies that I'd like access to. *realizes how this post looks*

It's stuff from my great grandfather when he was a kid... and I'm just telling stories I heard him telling grandpa....about 8088 and 8086 and that newfangled "fire" and "Wheel" do-hickey.

How many here fully realize windows 98 isn't 10 years old yet?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a functional (if you want to call it that) comodore 64 at my parent's house (unless they threw it out)....i think they've still got the old 486DX in the closet too

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

i've got a functional (if you want to call it that) comodore 64 at my parent's house

You can still get a few dollars out of it if you sell it, :whistling:

Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Commodore Business Machines
Model Commodore 64
Date Announced 1982
Date Canceled 1993
Number Produced Tens of Millions
Country of Origin USA
Price $600
Current Value $0-$50

Specifications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor MOS 6510
Speed 1 MHz
RAM 64K
ROM 20K
Storage Cassette Tape or 5.25" floppy drive
Expansion Cartridge slot
Bus N/A
Video 320x200x16 color composite video or TV out
I/O Serial, Parallel, optional IEEE-488
OS Options Commodore DOS, CP/M (with Z80 coprocessor)

Notes The Commodore 64 is the best selling computer in the world. Nearly 30 million units were sold during the 10 years it was in production.

Related Items in Collection - 1541 disk drives, software on floppy, manual, monitor, Commodore Plus Four,Commodore Vic 20
Related Items Wanted - Additional software on disk, commodore cassette drive

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can get more money out of the older comopouters by melting down the gold containers CONNECTORS

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Here is the link I got that info from http://www.vintage-computer.com It kind of fun to look through all the old information and see some of the vintage computers :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
tis 8:05 am, back at work after a nice day off yesterday. So of course....I'm drinking my morning Pepsi. (I don't do coffee) :whistling: Gotta get that caffeine in my system!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

but the sticker on front brags about a 2.5 gig hard drive

I've currently got a 4GB hard drive in my rig, I threw the old computer out but kept this one for linux dual boot.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
My dad has a 133mhz Pentium, that has been "upgraded" to a max of 128MB of RAM (if memory serves me correctly). I think the hard drive is in the 5GB range (and that was big). He used to use it in a business, and has proprietary software that he doesn't want to purchase again, as well as some old business records. Nothing urgent, but also nothing worth migrating to a new system. He uses it on ocassion. I feel his pain.

Recently, I was asked to work on a system by a friend. It was her grandmother's. A 66mhz Pentium. I waited, waited, and waited for it to boot, and then said, no thanks! :whistling: