Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

A 66mhz Pentium. I waited, waited, and waited for it to boot, and then said, no thanks!

hehe the old 486DX's would boot faster than a 66mhz pentium...granted...there was nothing to do on the machine once it did finally boot (except play scorched earth...man i loved that game)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh yeah...i used to have this old "laptop" (more like leg crusher) that a lady at the hospital gave me to "fix up" for her husband...i have NO idea what year the thing was made, who made it or what...but it weighed at LEAST 20 lbs....the RAM and hard drive space were measured in Kb....had a monochrome screen and some proprietary OS...there was what seemed to be DOS behind this OS...which was all CLI or "arrow navigation"....some cruddy word processor and financial type software one it...just junk....she wanted me to see if i could load office on it etc...pffftttt please....i told her it was junk so she let me keep it...then some idiot stole it out of my car....haha have fun lugging that beast around buddy

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

...then some idiot stole it out of my car....haha have fun lugging that beast around buddy

:whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

then some idiot stole it out of my car....haha have fun lugging that beast around buddy

You were probably more annoyed about your car door lock that got picked, right?

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Summers, I worked for the city Sign and Signal department. My mom worked for the city and got me the job. Being government work, it was easy. Go to work, fix a sign that some drunk driver ran over, drive across town, take a 25 minute break, drive back across town, paint a blue curb for handicap parking, drive across town for lunch (we never stayed in the area we worked). We also painted the school cross walks, stop light standards, and replaced lights in traffic signals with a bucket truck when they burned out.

Is this your handiwork? Maybe you were still a little bleary eyed after one of your many coffee breaks? :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Every year at back-to-school there is a picture in the papers of some messed up crosswalk. We were very careful to ensure that wasn't us. :whistling:

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I must admit I feel horrible for whoever made that mistake because you just know that they have to hear the jokes and ridicule for the rest of their lives.
I still get called "aqua-boy" because I broke a copper pipe connected to a water spigot and flooded out a whole school yard and a wing of the school.
The knob was welded in the closed position so the little kids would not open it, and me not realizing this led to me turning
the knob as hard as I could until the whole spigot just twisted right off.
It happened on a Saturday morning, about 6 am and the maintenance people were not there until 3 pm.
This happened a little over ten years ago. :whistling:

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

hehe the old 486DX's would boot faster than a 66mhz pentium...granted...there was nothing to do on the machine once it did finally boot

Don't forget Fantasy Empires (by silicon knights). I've still got 2 copies I'm trying to make work on our machines at the house.

1 for mom and 1 for me. I know she'll love the game, if I can ever make it work.

Edited by bobmad, 05 July 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As for old games, I just loved Duke Nukem 3D, wish I could get it again... Probably a bit too "new" for the computers we are all talking about now, though.

Anyway this old guy has a chalkboard across the road from my work, and he puts funny signs on it, a different one every day. Today's says this:

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I found out that a lot of people die from natural causes"

So I guess it's off to the fast-food restaurant, eh? :whistling:

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
What if your lap top still looked like THIS........

Posted Image

Manufacturer Osborne Computer Corporation
Model Osborne 1a
Date Announced 1982
Date Canceled 1983 (with the dissolution of the company)
Number Produced Tens of thousands
Country of Origin USA
Price $1,800
Current Value $5-$200

Specifications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor Zilog Z80A
Speed 4 MHz
RAM 64K
ROM Unknown
Storage 2 built-in 5.25" floppy drives
Expansion None
Bus N/A
Video Built-in 52x24 black and white display
I/O Parallel, Serial
OS Options CP/M

Notes The Osborne 1a was a minor update to the original Osborne. It had a more rugged case (white instead of beige) and a few minor styling tweaks.

:whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe my uncle still has a few osborne computers (not that one) at his house...he just keeps them for show

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

"upgraded" to a max of 128MB of RAM (if memory serves me correctly)

Hehehe... pardon the pun?

cuzant

cuzant

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
10000 more to go people as for old computrs well my oldest was a packard bell something or other from 10 ish years ago I think.Like 64 mb of ram or something I'm still in teens so nothing too ol.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
My first computer was an old Tandy. You're talking what? Mid to late 80's I think it was?? I don't even remember doing anything with it really. :blink: Back then, the cool thing was my Brother electric word processor. :whistling: I didn't really get "into" computers until about five or so years ago.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Horoscopes for Saturday
07/07/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARIES
(Mar. 21- April 20)
You will be best suited to doing things around the house or inviting friends over for a visit. You're apt to make a move or experience changes at home. Secret affairs may be brought out in the open.

TAURUS
(Apr. 21- may 21)
Real estate investments will be profitable. Secret affairs will only lead to deception. Your diplomatic nature will help you in straightening out unsavory situations.

GEMINI
(May 22-June 21)
Emotional up and downs have caused doubts in your personal life. Don't let someone try to bully you into doing things their way. Use your inventiveness to find solutions.

CANCER
(June 22-July 22)
Problems on the home front might be a little disconcerting. Luck is with you, regardless of the financial venture. Expressing yourself in novel ways should lead you down new avenues.

LEO
(July 23-Aug 22)
You would be wise to socialize with as many people as possible. False information from someone trying to start problems is likely. Don't let friends or relatives rule your life.

VIRGO
(Aug. 23 -Sept. 23)
Communication will be the source of your knowledge and you must be sure to spend time with those who have more experience. Don't let opposition from those envious of your talents daunt your progress. Short trips may be tiring but rewarding.

LIBRA
(Sept. 24 -Oct. 23)
You need to keep everyone on your domestic scene too busy to complain. Mingle with those who can further your goals. Be precise in your communications to avoid any misunderstandings and arguments.

SCORPIO
(Oct. 24 - Nov. 22)
You must make them stand on their own two feet regardless of how much you want to make things better for them. You will enjoy events that lean toward theater, art, or music today. Don't be too quick to judge others.

SAGITTARIUS
(Nov. 23 -Dec. 21)
You can enjoy social events and meet new potential mates; however, avoid being lavish. Travel and social activity will bring about interesting talks, not to mention contacts. You should be setting up interviews or sending out your resume today.

CAPRICORN
(Dec 22.- Jan. 20)
Call someone you haven't seen in a long time. You may want to take a look at the personal papers of elders in your family. Situations could easily get blown out of proportion if you have made unreasonable promises.

AQUARIUS
(Jan. 21 -Feb. 19)
Sudden romance could end just as quickly. You should check out prestigious clubs or groups that have a cause you believe in. You may find that you can be the recipient of valuable information if you're willing to be a good listener.

PISCES
(Feb. 20-Mar. 20)
You'll be angry if those you live with aren't pulling their weight. Think before you act. The distance may make you both appreciate each other more.