Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

oh yeah...speaking of comodor 64's....see how they're put to use Here

yeah but that nothing on this one .....look at the price tag on this thing.

The AN/FSQ-7 was by far the largest computer ever built, and is expected to hold that record. It consisted of two complete Whirlwind II computers installed in a 4-story building

Posted Image

Posted Image
NAME AN/FSQ-7

MANUFACTURER IBM
TYPE Professional Computer
ORIGIN U.S.A.
YEAR 1958
END OF PRODUCTION 1963
BUILT IN LANGUAGE None
KEYBOARD IBM consoles
CPU 55,000 vacuum tubes in each unit
SPEED 75 KIPS (KiloInstructions Per Second)
CO-PROCESSOR None
RAM Core 8892-word
ROM Unknown
TEXT MODES None
GRAPHIC MODES 256 x 256
COLORS Monochrome
SOUND Speaker (see the ''Read more'' page)
SIZE / WEIGHT 2000 square meters / 275 tons
I/O PORTS Tape, punched cards, modem
BUILT IN MEDIA Tape
OS None
POWER SUPPLY 3 MW
PRICE $238 million, printer around $200,000 to $250,000

I wonder how the CPU of 55,000 vacuum tubes in each unit compairs to my 1.70 GHz :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

I wonder how the CPU of 55,000 vacuum tubes in each unit compairs to my 1.70 GHz biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You are a jerk, you know that don't you? :whistling: a complete knee biter....

most of us have calculators with more processing power than some of these computers.... (perhaps more than this one)

You have more processing power...let's look at cost....
I can get a good computer for 1500 (including monitor) OK not a GREAT state of the art gaming rig.... but good.

This Monstrosity cost...$238 million in 1958 ... let's see....they GET HOSED there too... even worse....

Amazing

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

The first computer I remember using was a Old 286 running DOS.

My dad said that we had a nice old trash 80 but I never saw the light of it that I know of.

The first computer I remember using was a TRS80 Model III and Model IV in 7th and 8th Grades. I also used an Apple IIe in 5-8th and my first computer that I OWNED was a Laser 128 (Apple Clone) which died on me when I was a sopohomore in High School - Then I got an Epson Equity Ie - which was an IBM clone - however, she was an 8086, had 640 KB Ram, and Dos 3.3 - I have also used an Apple III and an Apple IIc and IIgs - when in graded school, they had apples, and in High School, that is what the Skills Centers had, so I was relegated to that.

In earlier grades, (4 and 5) I had used an IBM Selectric Typewriter and a Smith Corona Electric - This is so I could learn the keyboard and eventually move to a computer - man, those were the days hehehehe :whistling:

Brian

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Why can't we all just go back to the days of electric typewriters? We wouldn't have to worry about malware...

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Why can't we all just go back to the days of electric typewriters? We wouldn't have to worry about malware...

off with his head!! Someone call 911!!

Blasphemy!!

If there were no malware, GeeksToGo wouldn't be necessary. We would all be bored, and would have never met the huge extended family we have here.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

off with his head!! Someone call 911!!

Blasphemy!!

If there were no malware, GeeksToGo wouldn't be necessary. We would all be bored, and would have never met the huge extended family we have here.

Man you are on a roll today, all I ask is that I keep my head... Maybe you could slap my hand with a wooden spoon instead, my mum used to do that when I was in BIG trouble (until I was too BIG and it snapped over my hand and I laughed at her, but that wasn't a good choice). Or we could just use LINUX distros like Ubuntu (I'm on it now) and become family by talking about hardware parts...

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm back to the real world, and not sure I'm liking it much. Last week, I was kayaking with my husband in a harbor in Maine. I got to see an osprey catch a fish and take it to its nest, 2 nesting terns attack a cormorant to chase it away from their nest, and best of all, I had seals pop up about 20-30 feet from my kayak and look at me. They were quite cute, and curious as well; they followed me for a ways back to shore. I also had a bald eagle flying around overhead last week, watched a pair of goldfinches gather material to make their nest, saw some wild minks crossing the road (someone started an unsuccessful mink farm on the island I was on, and then released the minks into the wild), and watched some nesting barn swallows.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome back, its good to stop and smell the roses, sounds like you a had a great time

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

saw some wild minks crossing the road

you shoulda cought a couple and sent them to johanna...she could have made you a nice stole(sp?) or a purse or something

didn't know you were of the touring kayak sort....i used to have a blackwater 10.5...but i gave it away to someone else in my apartment complex because i hadn't gone paddeling in a while...don't worry...i got it for free to begin with....it was a "display" at the outdoors store i used to work at...it had a 3X5 inch hole in the back where they cut the serial number out (apparently...for most kayak companies...if you're a distributor and you send them the portion of the boat with the SN on it and tell them it was "damage" during shipping...they'll send you a new one...who knew) and some holes along the keel line where they screwed it to the wall...i patched the holes in the keel with some epoxy and made a nice patch out of a sheet of copper (and copious amounts of jbweld and "magnum steel" epoxy putty) over the tail end there....it was a nice boat....the skeg was messed up a little so it wouldn't track well with it down...but i just used it to fart around in the rivers and what nots

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I like kayaking. When I went to Hawaii a couple of years ago, we did kayaking/hiking tour along a river. It was several miles of kayaking - I forget how much. A few years ago, we rented sea kayaks in North Carolina and went kayaking out past the surf. It was really peaceful out there, and we came very close to a group of dolphins, as well as saw numerous schools of fish. We're going back in August, and intend to rent sea kayaks again, plus I found a nearby place that has self-guided kayak tours of the Intercoastal waterway. Riding waves in on a sea kayak is pretty fun, although it takes some good upper body strength to control the kayak through the surf.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I'm back to the real world, and not sure I'm liking it much. Last week, I was kayaking with my husband in a harbor in Maine. I got to see an osprey catch a fish and take it to its nest, 2 nesting terns attack a cormorant to chase it away from their nest, and best of all, I had seals pop up about 20-30 feet from my kayak and look at me. They were quite cute, and curious as well; they followed me for a ways back to shore. I also had a bald eagle flying around overhead last week, watched a pair of goldfinches gather material to make their nest, saw some wild minks crossing the road (someone started an unsuccessful mink farm on the island I was on, and then released the minks into the wild), and watched some nesting barn swallows.

Welcome back, that sounds like fun! As long as you didn't take a laptop with you... :whistling:

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Wow, Where is everybody? Almost 30 hours with no post HERE?

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I'm writing a website... for six hours.

What about the other 24?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I had a life today. Went to see the new Harry Potter movie with my daughter, went to dinner with a friend and then we watched a movie here. I keep waiting for someone new to post, not the same 6-8 people over and over.

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
*Guest posts just because...