Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need help with windows/system32/config/system

• Please log in to reply

jarid

jarid

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i burned hiren's 9.1 to a disc and installed it into my computer now im lost...i tried to u ntfs dos pro 5.0 but i dont think it worked ...plz help me

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there jarid,

I've never heard of hiren's before, so a quick search revealed it is a bootable cd with heaps of tools on it. What are you trying to get it to do?

By the looks of it, you don't need to install it, you just boot your computer with the cd and use it that way...

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
no idea how to do that when i push "r" when it gets to the windows/system32 it opens the hiren's cd which is a great cd but kinda confusing..i lost my main xp cd so i have to do it this way...hiren's is very very commen...it in the other room sitting..

http://homepage.ntlw...nki/bootcd.html

Edited by jarid, 15 June 2007 - 12:49 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

no idea how to do that when i push "r" when it gets to the windows/system32 it opens the hiren's cd which is a great cd but kinda confusing..i lost my main xp cd so i have to do it this way...hiren's is very very commen...it in the other room sitting..

Ok jarid, please can I ask you to write the exact problem or task you are trying to achieve. Please write it in very simple terms. This post is completely confusing... :whistling: If you can do this, then we might be able to help you!

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah sure

I restarted my computer one day and it boots up and says the following
windows/system32/config/system is corrupted or the files are missing. please put in the original windows disc(xp pro) and push "r"

I dont have my old windows cd so i was told to find a ntfs dos pro, which is part of hiren's 9.1...The file is an .iso file so i used my program to burn it to a blank c.d on my computer and put it into my broken one...

so i put it in my broken one(the disk w/ hirens on it) and it comes up with alot of files that can be accessible but i dont know which to run....the hyper above are all the options i have on the particular disk...

my goal is to get my computer up and running again without losing data on my old computer..i figured that this ntfs dos pro would re-instal the corrupt or missing file but until now i had a clue what to do...now i have a bunch of commands from this disk and no idea how to fix my problem..

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello jarid and sorry for the long wait for reply.

There are many methods to fix this issue.

I personably use this one

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
where do i go to type cd / in? all i can see i the A:/ when i fail to use ntfs dos pro 5.0, plz explain plz...
also do i have to have the xp disc in the d:/ drive?

also i didnt dl the packets for xp if thats a problem lol..

Edited by jarid, 16 June 2007 - 06:44 AM.

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Type in MAP and press enter when you get into the recovery console tell me what displays there.

Advertisements

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i am not familiar with MAP? plz explain?,where do you want me to type it in when i get the windows/system32/config/system error?

Edited by jarid, 17 June 2007 - 04:40 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you accessing the recovery console, or are you using hiren's still? Can I suggest you stop using hiren's, and download recovery console from my signature. It is a .iso file, so you'll need to burn it as an image, if you aren't sure how to do this, let me know and I can elaborate (or search "burn image to disc" on google). Then use this bootable cd to follow tuxmaster's instructions.

EDIT: spelling error, I've had a lot of spelling errors lately! :whistling:

Edited by ruthandtroy, 17 June 2007 - 05:54 AM.

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yea i know how to burn iso files onto a disc,ie:alcohol 120 and nero, anyways once i burn the iso what do i do put it into the dic drive what will come up? and from there what do i do?

do i have to save it to my computer or can i just burn it from ur sigg directly? and with this cd will i lose any data?

Edited by jarid, 17 June 2007 - 07:39 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, here we go: To burn it, download the file to your computer, say your desktop. Then use nero to burn image (you should be sweet with this bit), then it spits it out and says "done". Label the cd "recovery console" so you know what it is. You might end up having to use it later, but never mind that for now...

This is a live cd. This means that you can put it in your computer and it will boot from it. I want you to do this in your computer that isn't starting. As soon as you start the computer, enter the BIOS and ensure that your cd drive is set to boot before your hard drive. The menu should be called something like "Boot Device Priority", just have a quick hunt and you should find it. That way, your computer will check for a bootable cd, and if it doesn't find one, then it looks on your hard drive (and finds XP and loads it).

Then put your recovery console cd that you just burned into the cd drive that you made to boot before the hard drive. Then you save and exit the BIOS, your computer should restart to get your new settings working, and because you've put the cd in, then it will boot of it instead of your hard drive. After this, you should be able to follow tuxmaster's instructions back up top.

Any more problems or questions, just post before going ahead, we're happy to help.

Cheers! :whistling:

jarid

jarid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i get up to the bios part..my first boot is cd then hd..do i put the cd in when im in the bios or do i put it in when im at the error messege windows/system32 ect.? once i do that what will happen do i have to run anything?