Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer crashes when trying to open my music

• Please log in to reply

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi just got a new computer a couple days ago, and i just transferred my music onto my new computer (via putting the files onto my ipod then cut/pasting them) However when i try to access my "My Music" folder it crashes and an error message pops up saying that explorer.exe had come across an error. the other thing is that i can still get to my music by going through using itunes. I can still add the music files into itunes via that folder, but i just can't access it. I've searched on google and these forums, people have had similar problems but i have yet to see anyone that found a solution... Anybody encounter this before? Also could it be the amount of music i have (14gigs), but i know plenty people that fill up 60 gig ipods...

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Alex HO,

Is the music devided into folders or just a list of music?

Is the Music Actually copied over to your hard drive?

Download HDtune in my signature give it a run report back if any errors.

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi thanks for replying.

the music is just a list, also i managed to get into it by renaming the folder to just "music" i guess i technically found a fix but it still bothers me that i can't get into the folder if it is named "my music". I'm running the scan now will get back to you shortly.

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
okay i ran the test, but everything was green so nothing wrong with my hd, alothough it was running at a constant 53-55 degrees celcius, the alert kept telling me it was at a critical temp... will this be a problem, my new computer is also a notebook, hp says its an "entertainment notebook" so it doesn't exactly run at the coolest temperatures either...

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Don't know if this helps, might be e different issue. Copy songs from iPod to new pc.

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i attempted to rip songs off my ipod using a program but it ripped each song idividually and i have 14+ gigs worth, i didn't really feel like waiting...

edit* - just finished reading over the page, i don't think it allows me to get all my songs onto a folder where i can change and edit, i think it simply gives you your itunes library back. thanks anyways though.

Edited by Alex_Ho, 15 June 2007 - 07:52 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
55c is a bit high is this a portable or desktop.

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
its a portable, but that was only when i was running the scan on hd tune, now its an average of 42-44C, btw sorry it took so long to reply, didn't check emails in a while.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ok those temperatures are fine. Is the issue still accruing? Is it just your music folder that has this problem or other folders too?

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It's just the music folder, i can access it now since i renamed it to just "music", but if i rename it back to "my music" it does the same thing, don't know why...

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried a system restore?

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yeah i've already tried that.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Does it happen on other users?

Alex_Ho

Alex_Ho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
not sure, i'm the only person that uses this computer, i'm going to make another s/n and try it though, update you later.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something that can cause problems, if you have thumbnail view enabled and there are many files in a folder that can cause Explorer to crash.