Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard typing random letters, sound muting itself + more

• Please log in to reply

Evil Klown

Evil Klown

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok this problem started a week or so ago, key board will type random extra letters when I am typing then go into auto repeat keystroke. Also start menu opens & tabs between different aps. I formatted y drive n reinstalled 4 times but continued to get the problem, thinkin maybe i had a virus shodowing the drive i bought a new drive as DDram wouldnt operate on it when I tried to nuke it, so I bought a whole new HD, installed it. computer was powered down for about 48hrs while I waited for the HD to arrive, on installing the drive all seemed clear until about 36hrs later when it started again at lesser severity than before. Since it has started again it is now just as severe as it was before. Kaspersky finds no viruses or anything had to hits from Helkern worm, but on reading up about it it seems to not be a threat for my system. also have found that 2 x pieces of hardware are not installing, one is HID Compliant Mouse (to do with my Saitek Keyboard & Pro Game Pad) & the other shows when installing as Microsoft Kernel Audio Device (or something like that). Have checked Processes n there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. Anyone got any thoughts on this, has taken me ages to write this post as compter keeps repeat typing asasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasasas every few seconds or so

thnx

Evil Klown

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Evil Klown and welcome to geekstogo,

Does the keyboard feel sticky at all?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried a different key board...try a usb connected keyboard...do you have SP2 and ALL the updates..
have you tried restore...

Edited by happyrck, 15 June 2007 - 05:48 PM.

Evil Klown

Evil Klown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guyz thnx for the welcome, Keyboard is totally clean, did that as soon as problem started, Also I formatted & re-installed windows n all drivers & updates 4 times, then changed the HD for a new 1 n Installed windows & updates again, but still had the problem, also system was running at a snail pace, sound kept muting itself aswell as the other symptoms I detailed. Also main Keyboard is a USB (Saitek Gamers Keyboard) with a cheap PS2 as a backup, same problem was happening with both

Edited by Evil Klown, 16 June 2007 - 11:14 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tested the keyboard in another system..

did you get all the chipset drivers installed after reinstalling...try setting the bios to default...if those don't do it..it has to be the mobo..

keyboardkowboy

keyboardkowboy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yes evil klown i have the same problems exactly the same

Happy rock my mobo is a fatality fp1 from abit less then 6 months old

yesterday again i formatted my c drive and put nothing back on my system except all drivers and xp updates (35 of them since sp3) and this morningi awoke to a lone search window sitting on my desktop but least it didnt mute the sound this time

progress huh

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried to run the computer in safe mode? Is there any difference?

I don't understand what you wrote about nuke and ddr. If you format the hard disk please do it with Windows, during normal XP installation process. After the disk is formatted and XP installed (no updates yet, please) try your keyboard and system before you install any driver or anything else. You may open notepad and try to write a document. If it works well, install your motherboard drivers. Don't install any application yet or reinstall your backed up data. We want to test the computer while everything is fresh. Only then, if it works well we'll start loading it back.

keyboardkowboy

keyboardkowboy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
skeptic i always format using xp never heard of nuke or ddr for formatting

Anyway seeing me and evilklown are running 2 totally different rigs EXCEPT for saitek keyboards

I went out and brought a new keyboard to see if that made a difference

heres hoping

Also it is an intermitant fault sometimes goes days or week without happening which i why i thought it was virus\rootkit until a mirade of tools came back clean

and yesterday i did a fresh install etc

Edited by keyboardkowboy, 06 November 2008 - 02:31 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
keyboardkowboy: it's most confusing to deal with two people at the same thread. Please start a new topic or watch on the side line and as this one is developing.

daneul

daneul

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Anyway seeing me and evilklown are running 2 totally different rigs EXCEPT for saitek keyboards

I can also confirm that it's the saitek eclipse keyboard that we're all running. I just recently started having the same issues and switched out the saitek for my adesso and everything is fine. Had it for 2 years, but wish it had lasted longer. Found this website with a google search and wanted to give people with similar issues a heads up.