Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Migrating to new PC

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So here we go, I have an old PC that I want an identical copy of the hard drive moved to a new PC.

First thought, was Ghost, I created a backup point on the old computer to a usb drive.
Booted the new computer from the Ghost CD, told it to restore the point off the usb drive.
Everything looks good so I reboot the computer, but I boot the the XP install disk first and run the repair. But during the repair its loaded with COM+ errors and dll and library errors. So I scratch that and reformat the hard drive.
I load the Ghost image a second time on the clean drive, and figured I would let it boot, but it gets to the first Microsoft Windows XP screen with the progress bar and reboots. It will stay in the cycle forever.

So my question is how can I image the old to the new. I am using Ghost 10.0. I noticed there are different utilites on the Ghost CD when you boot from it, is there something else I have to do first?

I dont like Ghost, and I dont use it, but this seemed to be my only option so I am looking for detailed help on Ghost or a different solution, but I dont want to have to spend much or any money if I dont have to.

Thanks for listening!

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
everything youve ever wanted to know about ghost but couldnt think of can be found hereghost :whistling:

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Basically they say not to do it cause it wont work.

So there is nothing out there that will migrate an old computer to a new without a fresh install?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I'm not sure how well an image would work. When you use an image from the old computer, it is for that old computer with the hardware in it. Moving it to a new computer is asking for plenty of errors since the hardware is completely different. You can just put that old hard drive in with the new one, install XP on the new one, then copy the files over that you need.