Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron laptop monitor garbled screen

• Please log in to reply

Slide

Slide

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've had a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and it has served me faithfully until now. This afternoon, the laptop screen went fuzzy, then mutiple, blocky lines appeared on the screen. These lines were both vertical and horizontal. Also, colors started fading in and out. When I moved my mouse cursor around, a fuzzy white box always surrounded it. Even during bootup, the laptop screen has these vertical and horizontal blocky lines that distort the screen and make using the laptop almost impossible. I've uploaded a picture of what my laptop looks like during bootup so you have an idea of what I'm talking about (it gets worse once Windows starts).

Is there any way I can fix the issue myself (like seeing if there are any loose connections in laptop)? Or do I have to either find a repairman/buy a new laptop? My warranty has run out, so I can't rely on Dell's technical service that much anymore.

Posted Image

Edit: Turns out that my LCD screen isn't the problem, it's in the CPU. I plugged a monitor into my laptop and the problem still occured on the external monitor.

Edited by Slide, 15 June 2007 - 09:35 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try booting into safe mode...if the problem is gone you might just need the drivers ...no joy..
then it sound like the graphics card on the motherboard died...

Slide

Slide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just tried what you said and I still have the problem. I now truly think the graphics card on the motherboard has died....now to inevitably spend the money to repair it.