Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Guidance and assistance with lost files

• Please log in to reply

McAdams

McAdams

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Came home to log my hours on my EXCEL spreadsheet, stored in "My Documents" within a subfolder and found that ALL of my personal files be they music, photos, word docs, excel, downloads etc have disappeared. All the sub folders that I created were still in tact but there were no files in them. The Program files and the system files were not effected. Only my personal files in "My Documents" and any files in folders within that forder. I run my own business and all of my info including clients, bids, billing, photos of my work, hours, phone numbers etc. are gone. Allmost every folder effected has a "Modified date" that is within 2 minutes of each other. I searched and found that I had run Ad-Aware SE only 5 minutes prior and of course deleted those critical and negligable files. But those files were logged and the vast amout of files that have disappeared were not included. I am devastated to say the least. Its all gone, 15 years of archives and such. And sadly I knew this kind of thing could happen so I had purchased another PC and networked them and was trying to figure out how to sync them together so as to back up.............too late. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing? Is it a Hijacker? or is it an update issue? I dont know where to go from here, retrive files? all searches have been futile, and the properties for my hard drive show I have gained perhaps 8 gigs so I suspect they are history. Anything? Thanks for taking the time - Mac :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get undelete...its free....instruction too..important ..DON'T SAVE ANYTHING right now because where the files are are now are considerd ok to write to by windows...the files are not gone until you write over them...
I don't want to kick a guy when he's down...remember this for the future...
any data that you don't have at least two copies is data you really don't care about

Edited by happyrck, 16 June 2007 - 09:10 AM.