Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start up problem

• Please log in to reply

VML

VML

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an EMAX, AMD Duron, 800 MHZ (100x8.0), running Windows ME

Stops here :

Memory Testing: 131072K

At the bottom: Press DEL to enter setup

09/06/2000-8363-686A-K7VZMC-00

But I haven't been able to enter setup by using DEL.

Can anyone help me fix it?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You can download and create a bootable floppy here to test the memory. If it has a lot of errors then you need new memory. If you have 2 sticks test them individually that way you will no witch is bad. If only 1 stick has errors then remove that stick and try and boot, if it does boot then this will confirm the other stick is bad and needs replaced.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
OOps sorry if it won't post I guess you can't run memtest, so I am not sure but if you could test the ram in another computer then you would know or if you could try different ram in this computer.

It could be other things but I would try different ram first.

Rick

VML

VML

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help! I'm not sure what to do...

Someone, who has a computer just like this one, said they had a similar problem, and what it ended up being is a problem with the CD Drive... I believe the rewritable one. They said that the computer had already checked the Memory and was actually stopping when it encountered a problem looking for a 'Storage Device'... They had to replace the drive, but the technician was able to 'unhook or bypass the bad device' and the computer worked until the new Drive was installed. Does this sound possible & what could I do to try it?

I could call a technician, but would rather do it myself, if it's simple enough.

BTW: I want to move all of my data & stuff from this computer to a new one, so long term use isn't really my goal. I encountered the problem while trying to move my data.

Thanks for all of the help!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes that is a possiblity and any device connected to a computer could cause this. How are you trying to move this data? If it is with a external device then try and remove it to see if it will boot

You could also disconnect all drives and cards (ecept the hard drive of course) and see if you can boot.

The best way to transfer your data would be to slave the hdd (hard drive) from the old computer to the new one.

I can try and guide you on how to do this if you have a basic knowlege of computer hardeware and what it looks like.

Its late now but if you decide to give it a try I'll be back tomarrow pm.

Rick

VML

VML

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help!

I just wanted to mention that I haven't hooked-up any new equipment or anything... just that someone who had the same exact computer, had the same problem and it was the separate CDR that was causing the problem. A new one was ordered, but in the meantime, the technician was able to bypass the problem somehow... that's what I would like to do -- if it is indeed the problem. I don't know for sure.

Any other help or should I just call a technician?

Thanks! :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well to bypass the problem disconnect the drive I am sure thats what the tech did