Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will a Asus 8800 gtx give full proformence in a INTEL 3.4Ghz Dual Core

• Please log in to reply

shehande

shehande

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi my name is shehan, Im from Sri Lanka. Nice to Meet You... I have a little prob. I would greatley appriciate if you could give me a soluution.

I need to buy a ASUS 8800 gtx, But not sure that the card will give full proformance. My system Spec's are

Motherboard - Intel 945
Processor - Intel 3.4Ghz Dual Core
Ram- Kingston (Two 1Gb's) 2GB
Current Video Card Nvidia 6600GT
Power Supply 450w.

Will this do,

Thanks alot...

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wouldnt think so, if thats a P4 then itll be the bottleneck to performance, also the PSU would need an upgrade to handle the 8800.

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thaks alot buddy, Now i know.

What do you think i should go for. I mean upgrades. But i always go for Intel..

Will a 550w Power Supply Do ? and what should i buy as the Motherboard and Processor ?

Please let me know..

Thaks alot

Shehan..

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
When buying for a graphics cards there is more to look at then Watts. The GTX requires 36A, give us a link to the power supply your thinking of, also I you got a GTX, it's a very high end video card and I don't recommend having a PSU below 600W.
Whats you budget and we can help you get started. Also what do you want to use this rig for, only gaming or do you want to do photo/video editing as well?
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 June 2007 - 12:48 AM.

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi..

I recently build my Pc. Here in Sri Lanka Everything is in high cost. And finding a 600w Power Supply is not easy. 550W could be bought. Say that I found a 600w power supply, is my computer Spec’s Ok.

Mainly for GAMING, I always play games.

Actually I cannot say a budget, because if my pc specs are ok then I have no problem buying the card. But if it’s not then pointless buying the card without upgrading the system, here in Sri Lanka an Asus 8800 GTX Will cost 65000 Rupees. That’s 650 Dollars. That’s a lot of money for us.

The Asus Company in Sri Lanka told that a 550w Power supply will do, but I have no idea. Is it true? And please let me know is my system spec’s ok to handle this card ….

Thank you……

SHEHAN.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It depends on how many amps are on the rails.
Can you give me a link to your current power supply or one your planning on buying?
James

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Thanks alot for replying...

But im not sure what your asking.. I have taken two pictures of my PSU, i hope that you could get something out of it,

Thanks,

SHEHAN

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00531.JPG

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No a GTX will not work on that power supply, at peak output only 18A will be administered to the GPU, you need double that.
James

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Buddy,

So what do you think i shoul do? Whats the PSU I should go for. 600w 650w...

Is my system ok. I mean the processor,motherboard,ram...

INTEL 945 MOTHERBOARD

3.4GHZ PROCESSOR

TWO 1GB'S ( 2GB ) RAM.

are these ok, will i get a Proformance out of the above if i by a good PSU ?

Thanks alot

SHEHAN

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
As warriorscot has already mentioned the GTX will be bottlenecked by that processor.
If I were you I'd just got for the GTS and a better power supply. The GTS shouldn't be bottlenecked nearly as much as the GTX would be. Still the GTS requires 32A and you will need a new power supply.
Give me a link to the site you'd buy from and I'll take a look around.
James

shehande

shehande

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi.

If I buy an 8800GTS 350mb Card with a higher PSU, will it be able to play all this latest games with my system specs.

Example – Test drive unlimited
SpiderMan 3
Tomb Raider Anniversary

** Please let me know this to ?

One of my friends has a normal 3.0ghz intel Pentium. With 1gb of ram, 450w power supply,intel 915 motherboard. He wants to buy a card for gaming, his hoping to buy the Gigabyte Radeon x1950 pro 256mb. Is this a good card, I mean will most of the games work? This is the site i checked it on.

http://www.legionhar...ment.php?id=599

Please let me know.

Thanks alot

SHEHAN.