Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP/2000 Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Okay, I've just partitioned a 10GB space for win2000 and installed it. . .
However, win2000 is really sucky so I tried going back to winxp, but I cant choose winxp on the OS choice menu.
It shows both OS's for about 1/2 a sec. then it starts win 2000 :whistling:.
Im really starting to get mad...
(I know you're wondering why I would unstall 2000. . . and its mostly because school just got out for me and I've been sitting around doing nothing for about a week. :blink:

Please Help!!!!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like you need to delete the 10gig partition. Have you tried using something like GParted?

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
would I be able to delete the partition while running windows 2000???????
Or could I do it from the BIOS some how???

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No you wouldn't be able to delete it from within Win 2000, that's why I suggested GParted as it's a Live CD. No you can't delete stuff from the BIOS, either.

Although, I was just thinking if you could edit the boot.ini file to remove the Win 2000 entry, then when XP boots up you could just reformat the 10gig partition... Do a bit of research with that train of thought, eh?

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I deleted the partition which win2000 was installed, but now, it flashes the OS choices then says

"Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows 2000™ documentation about hardware disk configuration at your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

(The win2000 partition is now unpartitioned space.)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should be able to use your XP cd to fix the boot file, using the repair function.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tim'A...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
okay, I found my disk and It gives me 2 options

*Recovery of Factory Default Software
Recovery to out of box state

*Erase the hard disk
Delete all the data and partitions from your hard drive
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the option:
*Recovery of Factory Default Software
Recovery to out of box state,
I get another 3 options:

*Recover to out of box state

*Recover without changing the hard drive partitions

*Recover to a custom size partition
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the option:

*Erase the hard disk
Delete all the data and partitions from your hard drive

I get 2 options,

*Delete all data and partitions from the hard disk

*Delete all partitions and overwrite all sectors on the hard disk

This process may take several hours,
depending on the size of your hard drive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't see any options of repairing the OS.
I did get that option while instaling windows 2000 though.
Also, the options are inside of windows style boxes with a kind of windows program installer interface.

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
oops, wannabe1 replied while I was replying, but any way, yea, my OEM recovery CD doesn't give me that option. . .

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't use any of those options...in fact, don't use that disk unless you have no data aboard and want to start over.

Download rc.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system. (The operating system installed on the machine you will use to create the disk.)

Once you have this disk created, post back and we'll see if we can rebuild the boot instructions.

Advertisements

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I've burned the iso image to a cd and selected to boot from cd, however, It went back to the OS selection menu. But this time, I had time to push a key to stop the timer and I selected to boot windows xp. but, it says that windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. . . . . . . . . . .blah. . . . . .blah. . . . . . .windows 2000. . . .blah. . . . . .etc.

For some reason, it tries booting windows 2000 when I select windows xp.
To make sure I didnt accidently select 2000, i tried again and the same thing happened.

So then I select windows 2000 professional and it says
"Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows 2000™ documentation about hardware disk configuration at your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

Anyway, was I supposed to do somthing other than burn the iso file to a cd (bootable cd)
I used magic iso and it burnt the file to the cd (I can see the very small ring around the center with the file on it)
but it doesnt do anything when inserted and booted from.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like the image was not created properly. Try burning it again using the tool I gave you a link to. Once you install the recorder, you will only have to right click on the rc.iso file you downloaded and choose "Copy image to CD".

When you boot to this cd, you should see a prompt at the top of the screen to "Press any key to boot from cd"...press a key. It should load a bunch of Windows drivers and files and then prompt you to choose to install or repair...press R. You should then be offered a list of operating systems available for repair...in your situation, use the arrow keys to choose the XP installation and press Enter. When prompted for the Administrator password, just press Enter.

Let me know when you have completed these steps or you run into problems.

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
sorry but it might be a while to the next reply, I accidently shutdown my bros pc. (password protected) No other computers in the house will burn the cd except my laptop (the 1 that wont start winxp. . .)

Tim'A

Tim'A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I ran the CD and used the repair option, then this came up, and I don't know what to do now:

Microsoft Windows XP ™ Recovery Console.

The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functuality.

Type EXIT to quit the recovery console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)? 1
Type Administrator password:
C:\WINDOWS>

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, I think the Master Boot Record (MBR) is probably ok.

At the prompt, type fixboot and press Enter.

Then type exit and press Enter.

Remove the cd from the drive and reboot....Does it boot to windows?

I suspect we will have to rebuild the boot instructions, but try that first.