Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cant get my iTunes Purchases off my external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

HWF

HWF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had to erase everything on my computer and start over a couple weeks ago, and I saved all my data on my external hard drive. Now I can't figure out how to get my purchased music from iTunes back on to my computer.
I have a Western Digital Passport 120 gig drive and an ibm thinkpad R40 from a couple years ago.
To save my data I used the WD sync program and hit the Sync button, which supposedly backed up all my data. Now Ive copied the "my music" folder to my computer again, and gone into itunes and hit "add folder to library" and selected the "my music" folder. This gave me the songs I didnt purchase from itunes (the ones that were burned from a cd and downloaded), but not the songs I bought in the iTunes store.
Does iTunes hide the files in some strange place that im not looking, or is there a copy protection or something that keeps me from getting them back?
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

To save my data I used the WD sync program and hit the Sync button

Did you try returning the data through the WD sync program? It should work both ways.

HWF

HWF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea, I copied the "my music" folder back to my computer using the WD sync program, but basically my problem now is getting them into iTunes.

risky2know

risky2know

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Did you install Itunes over again?
If so, from the My Music folder you copied over. There should be a Itunes folder in there.
Just Replace your new Itunes folder with the one you backed up.
All your prefences and playlists and songs should then show up.

HWF

HWF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I tried replacing the folders, which theoretically should work, except that it seems that my old itunes library isnt saved in the itunes folder. It has a bunch of folders with all the artist and album names in it, but the entire thing is ony like 3 mb, instead of the 8 gigs of music that I had. I also tried replacing the entire "my music" folder with the old one, but that did nothing either. It appears that my itunes library was stored somewhere else on my old computer, but I have no idea where.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Search you're external drive for mp3 files and c if what the path is to the file and transfer them to proper folder.
If you need guidance then just ask.