Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
When I tried to import a .avi video file into WMM it gave me this error:

"The File C:\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\example.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

But, Microsoft says:

"SUMMARY
You should be able to import the following media file formats into Microsoft Windows Movie Maker:
• Video Files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
• Movie Files: .mpeg, .mpg, .mlv, .mp2, .mpa, .mpe
• Audio Files: .wav, .snd., .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff, .wma, .mp3
• Windows Media Files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
• Still Image Files: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jfif, .gif, .dib"

What gives? Help please. Does anyone know a link to download this codec so I can import a .avi video file and edit it.

Advertisements

VRViperII

VRViperII

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a similar problem with Windows Movie Maker:

For some reason, when I use my friend's digicam to record .avi videos and import them into the timeline of Windows Movie Maker, it generates an error and closes Windows Movie Maker. This only happens with my friend's .avi videos. I tried importing other .avi files into the timeline and it's ok. Any ideas?

Thanks