Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sick PC

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hi, For some reason for the past week my computer has not worked correctly. When I click on an icon/application it will open and then have multiple sessions open until I have to power my PC off manually. I don't know what is causing this and I want to fix this. i've used last known good and system restore to try and fix the issue but it still is happening. I run/ran spybot search and destroy and ad-aware personal twice a week. What can I do to fix this issue please? I appreciate any help. Computer is XP.

thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my signature below). First of all take all the
preliminary steps. After the people from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean,
and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are
quite busy there.

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
the first post in this thread is still happening. I tried a different mouse but no help. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, please?

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Can I please get some help with this issue.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Did you check the mouse settings to see what speed the double click was set at, try lowering it.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Bruin--
Lots of factors could be in play here.
Do you get the same behaviour with a right click>Open selection?
Do you have web content on your Desktop?
Does the problem present when double clicking an .exe from Program Files?
Does the problem present in a newly created user accout with Admin rights?
Does the problem present when opening the program from "All Programs" in the Start Menu?

What exactly happens when you try to shut down that requires the power button solution?
Will it not shut down from Taskmanager?
Are you completely confident that you are malware-free?

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I changed mouse so that's not it. I have my mouse, keyboard monitor connected to a kvm switch though. It has been for 6 months but this just started happening in the last 3 weeks to a month.

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Bruin--
Lots of factors could be in play here.
Do you get the same behaviour with a right click>Open selection? Don't know cause I never use this option,
Do you have web content on your Desktop? Do you mean Do I have shortcut icons that I open programs/apps? yes, that is when it happens with say word, firefox, ad aware...etc.
Does the problem present when double clicking an .exe from Program Files? From desktop? yes.
Does the problem present in a newly created user accout with Admin rights? I'm the only user on machine.
Does the problem present when opening the program from "All Programs" in the Start Menu? Don't normally use this option, very rearly.

What exactly happens when you try to shut down that requires the power button solution? nothing, I have to use reset button instead of power button.
Will it not shut down from Taskmanager? tried it, it won't work.
Are you completely confident that you are malware-free? I use ad aware free and spybot search amd destroy each once a week.

Do you need anymore info? thanks for helping.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Answers to all the questions I asked would be a good start.