Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer building help

• Please log in to reply

fathead161

fathead161

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
hey,

I am building a computer.I have all the physical drives and parts set up but for some reason the OS disk or the Utilities disk will not read, and all i get is the message; Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

If you need any other information please ask

Thanks

Advertisements

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
also, i am trying to run three drives. one is a read-only cd/dvd, one is for burning cd/dvd, and the other is a 750 gig hard drive. the one thing is is that the hard drive hooks up to the motherboard in a way not commonly found in most computers. It is connected through a small L shaped head that connects to a another L shaped plug on the motherboard. Also, the Hard drive does not have any master/slave pins. I think that i might have configured the Hard Drive and Disk drives wrong, becuase i have never seen a drive congfigured like this before.

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
please help :whistling:

Edited by fathead161, 16 June 2007 - 07:51 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, you need to enter the BIOS and select the optical drive (your cd/dvd drive) to boot before the hard drive. Look for a menu or option about "Boot Order Priority". Save and exit.

Then reboot your computer with your OS disc in the drive.

EDIT:
p.s. Your hard drive connects via SATA, the new way of connecting. It's much better in that a) the cables are much smaller, allowing better airflow through your case, and b) SATA allows for much faster data communication, meaning it's going to be quicker :whistling:
You don't need Master/Slave with SATA, you just need to set it up right within the BIOS.

Double EDIT:
Because you have two optical drives, maybe you should disconnect one for now (the one you want as slave), leaving only the master. Then once everything is sweet, plug it back in again.

Edited by ruthandtroy, 16 June 2007 - 08:13 PM.

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
alright windows seems to be setting up but for some reason the computer gave me the message,
"BootSector Write !!
VIRUS: Continue (Y/N)?

Edited by fathead161, 16 June 2007 - 09:19 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Does the computer reboot and continue with the install, or is it actually shutting off? If it's turning itself off, does it give you an error message before doing so, or does anything else happen? Or is it instantly off?

A reboot is normal for an install, but if it's shutting off, it does sound weird. Have you double checked all the parts are installed correctly, including all cables and components are seated properly?

fathead161

fathead161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
yes everything is fine now it must have been a glitch in the program.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Make sure your computer is disconnected from the internet whilst installing, by the way...