Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 98 SE wireless?

• Please log in to reply

pd1431

pd1431

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have an old IBM laptop that I'd like to take on a 7 day trip. Is it possible to use wireless on it? I have abrand new netgear wireless router that's still in the box - will that work. I realize this operating system is terribily outdtated but this is the only time I've wanted to use the computer in ages.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 98 will go wireless but you will need the wireless software that comes with your wireless PCI card/USB dongle to do it. There is no built-in support for wireless under Windows 98 - strictly third party only.

pd1431

pd1431

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Neil, thanks for the reply but could you put that in non-geek speak for me, please. I have the netgear cd for installation but don't understand what else it is you're saying I need. :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The CD that came with your wireless card/dongle contains some software that you need in order to go wireless. You need to run this CD and then plug-in your wireless USB adapter when asked for it.

Do not run the CD for the router, it won't help you and you don't need it anyway.

If you do not have any wireless equipment (a USB dongle or an appropriate PCMCIA adaptor) you will need to purchase one that will work under Windows 98.

pd1431

pd1431

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you Neil!! I think I understand what you're saying but if not I'll post.

:whistling: