Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutting Down, starting up

• Please log in to reply

tom2007

tom2007

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, first post here just seeing if you can help me im 16 and know a fair bit about computers.
My computer was just randomly shutting down so i though it was gettin too hot so i took the cover off took the fan off the cpu cleaned it and cleaned the rest of the dust out of my computer. I put it back together and left the side of the case open when i connected everything back up to make sure the fan was connected to the power. When i went to switch my compter on smoke came off one chip on my motherboard so i quickly disconnected the powersupply and left it for 5 minutes; the same happend again 5 minutes later i thought i had fried my motherboard. I checked all the wires and thought i had put the ram in wrong as it felt that it was too tight so i took it out and put it back in switched my computer on expecting a blue screen but my computer came on no random shutdowns it works fine, except when i shut my computer down the powerlight stays on the switch even though it has shut down. Then if i hold the power switch for 5 seconds to switch it off once it goes off it comes straight back on. Apart from these small problems my computer runs fine iv downloaded a program to check my system temps and ther fine so im thinking iv fried something in my motherboard even though when my computer does work it works fine lol hoping i don't have to replace the motherboard atm as my dad wouldn't be too happy thanks if anyone can help.
By the way my system specs are;
Amd 64 3200
512mb pc 3200 ram
128 radeon 9200
Eberly motherboard not sure what model off an Packard bell imedia 1702

Edited by tom2007, 17 June 2007 - 04:48 AM.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey and welcome to G2G, I have to say your lucky there was not a more major problem, motherboards are very sensitive equipment, you probably fried a reset chip in there, have you tired restoring defaults in BIOS or removing the BIOS battery for 20min and putting back in? BTW, can you post a pic of the mobo signaling the damaged chip?

-OCM770-

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What did you use to clean the inside with? If you used compressed air you have to be careful that no water condensed on the mobo. I have seen that happen and chips will actual get hot enough to vaporize the water. A pic would be good.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Yeah, you have to be careful not to turn around a can of compressed air while using it. If by any chance or whatever you do spray water on the Mobo then theres no problem as long as:
-Let it dry off completely
-Apply no power to it while theres water on it.
-Keep it out of a humid area were corrosion could happen.

-OCM770-