Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Dannb

Dannb

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey there!

I've been recently (past.. 3-4 weeks) experiencing my pc crashing/locking up (I dont really know the difference, it just stops basically and booted from the tower again). I've been using spyware search aftter spyware search after spyware search and yeah, I'm finding things - but it's not solving the main problem.

I first noticed this when I was playing call of duty 2 and then didnt experience it for a while. However recently, it's just doing it when theres not even anything running. It's a good pc (or i'd like to think) and I cant imagine why this would happen. I stopped using it for a week or so and had it on for about an hour tops per day, then I tried to open call of duty one day and I thought it was back to normal - then of course I experience another crash and now i'm back to square one.

Also, my PC make is medion and I do own the reformat disc however it's kind of.. hiding from me :whistling:. I have a cd here with "recover.nrg" on it, which I swear i've used before - but when I start up it just goes past any little extra screens.

ALSO

When I start up I have a massive wait of it saying "Intel Inside Pentium 4" or something in a little square in the centre of my screen. It's literally about 3-4 minutes. Any help would seriously by appriciated.

Here's my HiJackThis Log:

HJT log are only allowed in the Malware Forum.

--
End of file - 10040 bytes

- Cheers

/Dannb x

Edited by Fenor, 18 June 2007 - 05:42 AM.

Advertisements

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'd probably guess that one of your RAM chips has come loose. . .
My little brothers PC had the same problem, he had 2X256MB RAM chips and 1 came loose!!!!
He thought it was some kind of a cooling problem but I checked it out and he was running his pc on 256MB of RAM!!!!
So I poped the other all the way back in (hoping it wasnt fried or somthing) and tada!!!!!!!!! Ran like new (as It was only 1 month old!!! :whistling: )
This may be your problem, I guess It came loose because we always moved it and maybe the motherboard bent some and the ram came loose, but i really don't know. . .
Hope this might have helped. . .

--------------------------------------------EDIT-------------------------------------------------

Maybe check your system properties in the control pannel (control pannel>system)
then " the bottom right hand side of the box it should say your processor type and stuff and your RAM (in MB)
kthnksby!

Edited by Tim'A, 17 June 2007 - 06:53 AM.

Dannb

Dannb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That could actually be why, since I got a new gfx card and tried to install it but i was just getting lines on the screen even after I installed the drivers so i took it out and put the old one back in.

So, (I'm a real idiot when it comes down to this) would I just check on the PC info that i'm using as much RAM as i own or do i take it apart and just push it back in ..

Cheers

/Dannb x

--- EDIT ---

Didnt see your little cheeky edit, thought it was a sig, I'll go look now :whistling:! x

Edited by Dannb, 17 June 2007 - 10:06 AM.

Dannb

Dannb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Medion Proffesional Computer Intel ®
Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Anything up there?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Check the specs of your pc and compare them to what you have bought [the manual/book] it came with. If there is a shortage then one of your chips is loose, if not, then you have unclipped/broken something whilst you we're installing your graphics card :-)

Dannb

Dannb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Meh, theres been so many things done with this pc the manual would be outdated. Should I look for anything in particular that i might have unclipped?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
If you know how much ram is inside the pc, then you can compare it to what the system is telling you, and if the system is telling you 512mb instead of 1gb let's say for arguments sake, then one of the ram chips is loose/broken

Dannb

Dannb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm sure though I could run what i'm actually running on 512. Almost certainly - it's like ventrillo and call of duty 2. Thats it.

Dannb

Dannb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
:whistling: