Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications Using All Of My Memory!

• Please log in to reply

DonP

DonP

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have 1 Gig of ram but I only have about 350Mb free. How do I free some memory? I am a beginner with computers, so debugging and stuff like that is like speaking Klingon to me. Can someone please help me?

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Reboot your computer. Rather than go into a lengthy explanation, here is a link that explains it the same way I do when I am explaining it to someone. Ram Explained . You can also get RAM cleaners, I have not used any for a while, so I can't really vouch for their effectiveness. When I used them years ago, they really did not impress me much.

DonP

DonP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've tried rebooting my system. That doesn't work. A friend of mine told me that I may have too many processes running. How do I eliminate some of these processes, and how do I know which of these I need to actually run my system safely?

Edited by DonP, 17 June 2007 - 11:22 AM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I suggest you reboot into safe mode, see how much memory is used then and get back to us?

Also what did you install recently or what have you done to the system recently that may have caused this?