Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP slow and laggish

• Please log in to reply

dotster

dotster

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am not sure what is going on, I've just gotten rid of some viruses (a mixture of malware with Trojans including the dreaded Virtumonde (Vundo) and ConHook infections.) more here.

My computer ran just fine before I was infected, and now everything just seems to lag, and drag if you know what I mean. It seems to be kind of alright if there is just one active program running, but even then, if it is a video, or if it is music of some sort, it tends to stutter non stop. I'm not really quite sure what is going on. I have been told that it might be a limited resources issue (check the 3rd to last post in the link above). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwize we may be wasting our time.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

dotster

dotster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, I have already been to Malware forum, followed all of the steps, still had problems, then Crustyoldbloke helped me out, and then gave me a clean bill of health. I was then referred to this forum. If you click the link in my previous post, it has everything there.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could you post the make and model of your computer for us...
if this is a desktop you can go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..

dotster

dotster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
of course, i'm sorry. it is a laptop, it is an Acer Aspire 9410 Notebook.

Also, I am almost positive that a process called RTDHCPL.EXE which I am pretty sure is my audio device thing. I know that if I end that process, my speakers and microphone don't work. I don't know what to call it, but I have Realtek HD. I have it running now, and the computer seems to be OK, but it is still slow, and sometimes it will freeze for a second or 2. When any kind of audio is playing, for instance when I start up the computer and it plays the start up theme, or when I logon, the audio is sloww and kind of stutters. Also, I am not sure if it is relevant, but my CPU usage is flying up and down from around 3% to around 65% and so forth, constantly.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your laptop has good specs and should handle anything you throw at it and be fast..so lets Start with the usual suspects...

go to the manufactures website and get all the drivers for your make and model...be sure it includes the chipset drivers...
install them all....

Scrub your Temp and Internet cache folders with ccleaner...
Will also clean recycle bin etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner Icon to start it.
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

Then run Windows' Check Disk utility with Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt

recovery of bad sectors checked. Open My Computer.. right-click the hard drive select Properties...

choose the Tools tab.. and click the Check Now button under ..Error-checking...

still having problems..

Try getting rid of damaged ActiveX programs. From Control Panel... choose Internet Options... the

General tab... Settings... and View Objects. Right-click to delete any items marked 'Damaged' in the

Status column...right click on any with yellow ! marks ...one of the options is to remove..do it

first try those..if your still having problems...
then we will try scan sfc

Edited by happyrck, 05 July 2007 - 06:38 PM.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Is your hard drive in DMA Mode? Do this to find out:

1) Right-click on my computer
2) Select properties
3) Go to the hardware tab
4) Select device manager
5) Expand the "+" next to IDA ATA/ATAPI controllers
6) Double click on the primary IDE channel
7) Go to the advanced tab
8) Report back the Current Transfer mode for all devices

9) Repeat the above for the remaining IDE channels (ignore it if it says not applicable)

dotster

dotster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I apologize for taking so long, I was out of town for a while unexpectedly.

happyrck, Thanks you for your help. I have done everything however, it continues to do mysterious things when music is playing.

ClickRight, thank you also for your help, here is what you have asked for. I don't understand any of this, so I typed up everything that I thought you might need:

Primary IDE Channel

Device 0:
Device Type = Auto Detection
Transfer Mode = DMA if availible
Current Transfer Mode = PIO Mode

Device 1:
Transfer Mode = DMA if availible
Current Transfer Mode = Ultra DMA Mode 4

Secondary IDE Channel

Device 0: